Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Slingbox

• 09-01-2007 10:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭

http://www.slingmedia.com/indexa.php

Thinking of getting one of these slingboxes and I have a few questions (sorry if this is not the correct forum)

Will this work with the basic smarttelecom package.

They have a silver model in PC world for about 220 euro. However when I look at the american site they have different models therefore,

Is the silver model about to be replaced with a newer model.

Would it be better to buy the american model on Ebay if it is a newer type.

Will this work with Sky plus.

Sorry for all the questions but I don't know anyone who has used one of these.

Also I would be interested in peoples oppinons of this device, particularly if they have used it while abroad on Sky Plus. Also considering using it with a PDA.

Thanks

:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭wexfordman

I set one up for my sister over christmas and she has sky plus. Works very well, mightily impressed!!!.

Her bb connection is wireless 1mb/512k. The min spec recommendedis 256 uplink. She travels a lot for her work and so wants it rather thn being tuck watching cnn in hotels!!!

Only thin you need to make sure is that you have a public IP address (she did not at first but her isp sorted her out). A private ip adress will mean you will not be able to access your slingbox remotley as your IP address will not be visible outside of your ISP. I think you should be okay, most ISP's as far as I know have public IP address (does not have to be static address) and private adress is not so common.

Worth confirming with your ISP though.
    Regards,
    Wexfordman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

Thanks,

I am with smart and it has a public IP address which changes.

Got it on pcworld.ie for 219 euro it was 259 in the local pcworld.

Also has a digital tv tuner which should futureproof it.

Will use it as an alternative to CNN also.

Cheers. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Native Tongue

Got one over Christmas and it is the best piece of kit I've come across in a long time. Works perfectly with Sky and Sky+ and the quality is surprisingly good. If you have a laptop with a wireless network card, and you have cable/satellite at home, you need to buy this piece of equipment!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

I think I will pick one up. I wouldn't mind being able to watch RTE here in Wales and use my Welsh digital freeview box when I am in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Would like to get this for a relative in the UK. Does it work with plain old terrestrial [analogue]? I don't want a DVB-T tuner even though I'd be buying the 'UK' version.

• Advertisement

Arrived today. Very easy to set it up. Works well on the LAN. Will try it from work tomorrow to get a better idea what it is capable of.

Great with Sky Plus as you can watch recorded programmes. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭setanta5

quick question....if im away travelling with my laptop and watching my sky tv from home....can people at home also watch sky tv or are they stuck on whatever channel i am watching?

The sling box streams whatever the sky box is watching. So you can control the sky box remotly but you are changing what they watch and visa versa.

So the person on the laptop has to watch the same thing as the persons who are watching TV.

Got it working remotly. You would need 256K upling speed from your house 512K is better.

I have 512 myself from smart and the quality was fine, not as good as sitting infront of the TV but very watchable, particularly if you did not use the full screen size.

I can recommend this device. :)

The price on the pcworld.ie site has increased to 259 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

More slingbox questions. :)

I live in the UK, if I bought a Slingbox for my parents in Ireland could I watch their TV on my machine?

If they had Sky multi-room would they be forced to watch what I'm watching or could they still watch whatever they wanted?

The multi room would give them 2 sky boxes, you could connect the slingbox to one and control it, they could watch tv on the other sky box.

• Advertisement
Advertisement