Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comic Jam March 3rd

Options
  • 09-01-2007 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭

There is a webcomix thing for st. george's day URL="http://www.bolloxcomics.co.uk/stgeorge/"]info here[/URL where british artists put together webcomics to post on st. georges day. Now this event does not have people meeting up in person which is no fun! So how about a st.paticks day comic event which is a real comics piss up?

Now I don't want to have the event on st. patricks day cus [a] everyone has plans for paddies day you'll never find somewhere to have the event and [c and rather a big one for me] I'll be in london. But how about two weeks before so we can have the comics ready for st. patricks day.

March Saturday 3rd we meet in a pub in Dublin and draw, drink and talk comics until we get kicked out.

Then I take the comic pages, compile them together into a zine and take them to the uk web and mini comix thing on st. patricks day to hand out.

Now the second part is just a suggestion but I would like some feedback on the first part.

Whose up for meeting up?

Any suggestions on a pub? I'm not fan of messer maguries on the quays but its a pretty big pub were you could take over a whole section. If theres enough intesert it might be worth calling up and reserving a section [i know they do it for 21st and such].

Is the 3rd a good date for people or would they like it a week earlier? I was thinking a 6pm start time, we could start earlier but for people working and travelling i figured 6 would be good.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭the Shades

Anytime is good for me with advanced warning so I'll be there! Oh and somewhere without red lights this time. That pen I used the last time turned out to be green not black and eh... yeah green penguins just don't look right

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

the Shades wrote:
    Anytime is good for me with advanced warning so I'll be there! Oh and somewhere without red lights this time. That pen I used the last time turned out to be green not black and eh... yeah green penguins just don't look right

heh green penguins! Yeah looking into location, want somewhere with a central location that we can take over a section of and be out of the way so as not to be over run with people when it gets busy.

I actually hate messer maguires but I have had a couple of sessions there and you can take over a section right up the top and be out of the way. O'reilys under tara street dart session was good spot when i was in college but i've not idea what its like now.

Any pub rec's are welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭thumbninja

the duke.. it's just off grafton street. upstairs there's a square section that'd do nicely I reckon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Ger_Hankey

I'd love to get involved but Saturdays (day time anyway) are out for me...:(

On a Sunday I'd be there like a flash. It would be nice to meet some like-minded people. Ah well...

Ger_Hankey wrote:
    I'd love to get involved but Saturdays (day time anyway) are out for me...:(

On a Sunday I'd be there like a flash. It would be nice to meet some like-minded people. Ah well...

Read a little closer mate Lady Luck is smiling on you, it'd be starting at 6 and having been to the two that already took place (and not drinking WAY too much at the last one) I think I can safely say all who'll be involved would prefer it in the evening too.

And no this isn't just because everything I draw before the evening hours settle in looks like a heap of ****e!:D

• Advertisement

as shades said its starting at 6pm as a number of people [like me!] have to travel up from the country and saturday suits better so we can have a lie in sunday [and recover from hangovers] before heading back down.............whats the word from the Cork brigade? I was going to suggest a cork jam but after meeting with our lovely mod for an xmas drink [or 10] we felt dublin was just easier for most [ie us country folk will go to dublin but we'd be hard pressed to get those dubs to come down here] I should have a spare couch if someone needs a place to crash in dublin.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I won't know until a little closer, my weekend employment is uncertain for march. But if i can go, i'll try

tree i just threw the 3rd out as a possible date as its far enough way to give people some notice but not on top of paddies day were the pubs will all be black.........would the weekend before be better for you or does it not make a difference? Cus you know we gotta have you and some markers there to make it a real jam!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I'm definitely up for it, add to that it's my birthday around then so comics + beer equals a good combination :)

Crashspace would be very much appreciated as I doubt I'll be heading back down on Saturday night. Can sort that out a bit closer to the time though.

I'd definitely be up for it then!! Will be a first for me but I'm always willing to try something new! I assume I just bring along a pencil & some drinking money??

• Advertisement

Ger_Hankey wrote:
    I assume I just bring along a pencil & some drinking money??

paper is handy as well the pubs tend not to be to happy with us drawing on their walls.

Oh that was just one time and it was a very attractive picture of an elephant raping a rhino! :D

ztoical wrote:
    paper is handy as well the pubs tend not to be to happy with us drawing on their walls.

But isn't that what beermats are for??

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

i shall be in galway the weekend before participating poorly in an intervarsities karate competition. so i defo couldnt go that weekend. but ill try come on the saturday, if i go i will be driving my trusty matchbox up and will be staying over that night.

thumbninja wrote:
    the duke.. it's just off grafton street. upstairs there's a square section that'd do nicely I reckon

I reckon it will miss ninja! Sounds like a nice pub and i found a map so its easy to give directions to. Plus its the starting point for the dublin literary pub crawl so i guess its fitting to have a comic jam there :D

So here's the offical 411 on the jam as it now stands:

What: Comic Jam
    When: March 3rd 6pm till late [very late!]
    Where: The Duke [upstairs] Duke street, Dublin.
    Who: All are welcome thou having an interest in comics might help. Doesn't matter if you don't draw or have never tired to draw a comic this is about having a good night and a good laugh.

Anything else? Bring stuff to draw with and on [ie pencils, pens and paper] and money for pints.

floor space on offer..(to peeps I've met - if you're male. or any peeps - if you're female)

Chalet Ninja
    Height of comfort (air matress and sitting room floor)
    Breakfast provided (in the cafe down the road)
    Convenient location (round the corner and up a bit from Ztoc ;) )

available the weekends that the comicjam may be on excluding paddys

i'll take some squashy bed space so off one of the girls, given that i'll prlly be free now that i'm nearly half unemployed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Drastic

I'll be there.

I just need to remember how to draw with paper. Stupid wacoms...

we need to be able to draw now? awww bullux - thats me out then

I'll just sit with the markers ... fumeygoodness

• Advertisement

oh yeah baby, gotta love teh toluene. they give me 5L drums of the stuff at work :D

i'll bring a colouring book

shameless reminder nudge back to the top

indeed, lots are still yet to be drawn for who'll be accomodating your's truly after her long and arduous drive up from the real capital

Tree wrote:
    indeed, lots are still yet to be drawn for who'll be accomodating your's truly after her long and arduous drive up from the real capital

well my brother has moved into my apartment while I'm down in kilkenny - so theres a couch which he tells me may or may not be broken and a double air mattress plus tones of floor space!

Miss Ninja is just down the street so I say we all walk back in that direction and decided then or do you need to dump stuff somewhere before hand? My place doesn't have parking as you had to pay loads extra for that.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Hmmm. I need to add myself to the list of those searching for a roof, at least temporarily. (One or two people mentioned that they could provide crashspace for me, but since I'm not sure if they'll be there or not it's possibly a good idea not to rely on it....)

*bats eyelids at Tree*

You want any company for that long boring drive up?

hey hey kids,

I did indeed offer :)

I have a wee sitting room and an airmatress

two would fit comfy. 3 would be mates :P
    (we've actually had five lads in there at one point god alone knows how they did it!)

I knows tree, fysh and shades is looking for crashes. I'll take whom ever wants/needs/fits

we can work it out :D

well I can do the taxi trip if someone else needs the space, so you could be down as a maybe hehe

If anyone needs picking up between cork and the red cow i've two spaces left in my dinky. wont be up til after seven though coz i have to do this work thing till four

i'll be heading up a little earlier from kilkenny, not sure if im going to drive or not yet but if theres someone on the kilkenny/dublin route who might want to risk getting into a car with me then let me know.

• Advertisement

I'll be going from templebar.. if anyone fancies giving me a piggy back that woud be much appreciated :p

Someone confirm for me place and time..

Sat 3rd. the duke? had we finialised?

Advertisement