Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oval

• 09-01-2007 10:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭

Anyone heard of these guys? Very glitchy, but nicely so. They use lots of scratched CDs for making samples by the sounds of it. Can anyone recommend anything similar?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Yep, they're really good. Some comments about them were posted here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054993014
    cornbb wrote:
    Anyone heard of these guys? Very glitchy, but nicely so. They use lots of scratched CDs for making samples by the sounds of it. Can anyone recommend anything similar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Oh yeah, I completely forgot about that thread :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

"Yep, they're really good. Some comments about them were posted here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2054993014"

People have mentioned Jim O'Rourke here. I personally love the album I'm Happy and I'm Singing and a 1,2,3,4... which came out on mego a few years ago. Also love his old band Gastr Del Sol with David Grubbs. Their last album Camofleur featured Markus Popp of oval on most tracks.
    Other experimental faves are Tortoise, Keith Fullerton Whitman (especially Playthroughs), Stars of the Lid and Labradford. My obsession however (which has cost me a small fortune on ebay) is Boredoms. Check out Super Roots 5 and 7 when they're reissued in February. And while you're at it, check out Planetary Natural Love Gas Webbin' 1999999 by DJ Pica Pica Pica. It's eYe from Boredoms' DJ mix and it's the most insane dj mix I've ever heard. Puts the likes of Girl Talk in the shade.

There's a thread on Boredoms here somewhere too. (I think I started it, actually.) Saw them in Temple Bar Music Centre last year. Unbelievable stuff.
    bogmanfan wrote:
    "Yep, they're really good. Some comments about them were posted here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2054993014"

People have mentioned Jim O'Rourke here. I personally love the album I'm Happy and I'm Singing and a 1,2,3,4... which came out on mego a few years ago. Also love his old band Gastr Del Sol with David Grubbs. Their last album Camofleur featured Markus Popp of oval on most tracks.
    Other experimental faves are Tortoise, Keith Fullerton Whitman (especially Playthroughs), Stars of the Lid and Labradford. My obsession however (which has cost me a small fortune on ebay) is Boredoms. Check out Super Roots 5 and 7 when they're reissued in February. And while you're at it, check out Planetary Natural Love Gas Webbin' 1999999 by DJ Pica Pica Pica. It's eYe from Boredoms' DJ mix and it's the most insane dj mix I've ever heard. Puts the likes of Girl Talk in the shade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

I was there too. Absolutely fantastic. I've just found out that the week I'm in NY this year they're playing a special gig with 77 drummers! I've been smiling for a week.

• Advertisement

Sweet Jesus! I didn't even realise there were that many drummers...
    bogmanfan wrote:
    I was there too. Absolutely fantastic. I've just found out that the week I'm in NY this year they're playing a special gig with 77 drummers! I've been smiling for a week.

Advertisement