Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Door Work

Options
  • 09-01-2007 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭

Anybody got any relevant info/experience of door work in the city.

I'm new to Galway..do most of the pubs/clubs/hotels contract out their work or employ their own?

There appears to be quite a mix of people on the doors..all sizes,ages,backgrounds (eg. students) This has just been my experience of the few places I've been.
    I could be wrong, but I do not see your 'stereotypical' hard man on the doors, as much I would encounter in pubs/clubs in Dublin, for example.

Seems a fairly laid back atmosphere around the place?..again, limited experience of the city.

Have some relevant experience, just exploring a possible part-time job.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Most places want fairly laid back door staff. They're a trouble deterent, but they're also the first people the customers meet, so they have to be able to get on well with the public.

99% of places put their door staff through the books. WRT time of year, it's not a good time to try and find a job, as a lot of places have quitened down after the Christmas.

Try CP/Halo and Karma - they need some good bodies. The Quays use an outside company, but I can't remember their name. Most other large places are direct employ.

And don't let the doormans sizes fool you; the small ones are generally the well trained ones!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

Check opportunities with sword security, they have ppl on some doors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Cole wrote:
    I could be wrong, but I do not see your 'stereotypical' hard man on the doors, as much I would encounter in pubs/clubs in Dublin, for example.

Not so much anymore but you dont have to go back to many years where gorillas were employed on every door, try reason with those idiots:rolleyes: .Theres a couple of pubs in town that STILL have a few of these meatheads,well scumbags really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭mark.leonard

Cole wrote:
    Anybody got any relevant info/experience of door work in the city.

I'm new to Galway..do most of the pubs/clubs/hotels contract out their work or employ their own?

There appears to be quite a mix of people on the doors..all sizes,ages,backgrounds (eg. students) This has just been my experience of the few places I've been.

Seems a fairly laid back atmosphere around the place?..again, limited experience of the city.

Have some relevant experience, just exploring a possible part-time job.

Thanks

send me a private message and I can set you up with something, a trial at the very least. Or mail me if you would prefer on info [at] mmaleague.com

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭darrenh

Fey! wrote:
    Most places want fairly laid back door staff. They're a trouble deterent, but they're also the first people the customers meet, so they have to be able to get on well with the public.

99% of places put their door staff through the books. WRT time of year, it's not a good time to try and find a job, as a lot of places have quitened down after the Christmas.

Try CP/Halo and Karma - they need some good bodies. The Quays use an outside company, but I can't remember their name. Most other large places are direct employ.

And don't let the doormans sizes fool you; the small ones are generally the well trained ones!!!

only try cp/halo if you can be an a** h**e to people who just want to enjoy there night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭cheesemaker

darrenh wrote:
    only try cp/halo if you can be an a** h**e to people who just want to enjoy there night.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

darrenh wrote:

it's not only the wind that's bitter this weather!

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭darrenh

it's not only the wind that's bitter this weather!

true!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Muzzy

SWORD secuirityshould be able to get you a gig. They have an office on Mainguard St, Turn right after Taffe's pub on Shop Street and the office is after the €2 shop.

They do the doors for The Radisson and a couple other places. They also do the Races, Gigs in Blackbox and concerts and other festivals. You may not be guarenteed(God, I can never spell that word right!) a door in the city, SWORD also do doors in Tuam and Claregalway etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Sword are actualy based in The Halls on Quay Street, above Fat Freddys. They moved from Maingaurd Street a couple of years ago...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Fey! wrote:
    .....The Quays use an outside company, but I can't remember their name. Most other large places are direct employ.....
    Compass security used to do the Quays. I used to work for them.

Advertisement