Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ski Jacket inner fleece?

Options
  • 09-01-2007 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭

Im going skiiing in Bulgaria in Febuary and I have to buy a jacket. Would a jacket that has an inner fleece that zips into the outer shell be much better than one without?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Yes it would as you'd be able to take out the fleece if it was warm. In saying that though it's not the most important thing to look for in a ski jacket. I'd maybe pay an extra 20€ for something like that but no more.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I have rarely needed to be wearing as much as that when skiing with just a thermal and then adding or removing extra thinner mid layers as required during the day. When I have thought that it looked as if it was going to be really cold that day and put a fleece on as well I've just found it too bulky then and got too warm usually. Of course if your in ski school and potentially standing around a lot then it might be different matter though, but more thin layers is better than one big thick warm one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Two quick points for you.

First off on the Jacket, I prefer just to have one "full"? jacket rather than the a jacket where you can seperate the fleece from the outer layer of the Jacket. We have just got back from Bulgaria (Bansko) where a friend of mine had a Jacket has you mentioned he could remove the inner fleece bit, but I think it was the third of fourth day and he was out looking for another jacket. His problem was that when he got warm he would remove the inner fleece but the outside piece wasnt enough to keep him warm and he claims it let in the snow.. This is all probably down to the make of the jacket, what its made of etc but that was his story.

The other point I wanted to mention was that in Bansko the pass machine near the gondola and the main bank didnt accept Irish AIB or BOL or VISA passcards even though they showed the symbol that they should accept them. However if you go down town to the square their is a bank that does accept AIB and BOL cards. Small Point but im sure the banks are the same all over Bulgaria ask your Rep on the way in where all the banks are located.

Enjoy your trip!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Another non-jacket related thing that you should be aware of in Bulgaria is that when they are shaking their head in what we would recognise as a "no" they actually mean "yes", and nodding actually means "no".

Caused a bit of confusion in some shops about the town when trying to communicate with our very limited language skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭greine

I'm going to bulgaria too in Feb, first timer! Just bought a ski jacket, has no inner fleece but it has a yoke that fastens on the inside, i think it just stops the snow from getting up my jumper....then again, i haven't a clue:D

• Advertisement

That skirt bit should fasten to your sallopetts and stop the snow from getting inside the jacket when you take a tumble. I've got one on my jacket and it would be pretty good except that I'm not fat enough to fill it out completely so end up having a big gap at the front where the snow can still get in.

Just have to not fall over so often and it's not an issue then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭kirving

Thanks for that, I haven't got a jacke yet but i'll probably just go with one without a fleece. I have got the Salopettes though and probably will be a diferrent make to the jacket and they probably wont fasten together, but i can always pull the elastic at the bottom of the jacket to stop that. Oh and im going to Pamparovo.

Thanks

Advertisement