Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is more dangerous to a cyclist?

Options
  • 10-01-2007 1:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Who is more dangerous to a cyclist? Cars, Trucks, White Van Man, Taxi’s, Pedestrians or fellow Cyclists

My own opinion is all of the above but I would give special mention to pedestrians. Today on my way to work cycling down the “cycle track” on the quays, for no apparent reason a pedestrian, listening to the latest sounds on her ipod stepped into the road and then smash bang.

I’m flat out on the pavement (thank the lord not on the road or I would not be writing this) the bike is lying 5 feet away and all this person did say was sorry, sorry and then continued on her merry way.

I have been hit by cars, fellow cyclists and pedestrians too many times. Never a Guard around to make a complaint to.

Anyone else got similar experiences?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Trucks kill cyclists.

Cars and white van drivers scare the life out of cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭aburke

Victor wrote:
    Trucks kill cyclists.

Cars and white van drivers scare the life out of cyclists.

And pedestrians normally just annoy cyclists, nothing more dangerous usually.
    The Original poster was a bit unlucky, or lucky that it wasn't a HGV turning left out of nowhere.

Alan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Beelzebub

No similar complaints save for almost being hit by cyclists on the pavement, numerous times...only for my own quick reactions were there no major injuries involved.
    There is never a guard around to make a complaint to, in this regard either.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

1) The hordes of joggers who insist on jogging in groups of 20+ 3 or 4 abrest down bikelanes, buslanes and often just on the road.

Im thinking of making a complaint to the Rathfarnham & Bushy Park Running Clubs as these are the main culprits on my commute.

2) People walking their dogs (and themselves) on bike lanes when there is a perfectly good footpath not 3 metres away...ARGH!

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

GreeBo wrote:
    1) The hordes of joggers who insist on jogging in groups of 20+ 3 or 4 abrest down bikelanes, buslanes and often just on the road.
    2) People walking their dogs (and themselves) on bike lanes when there is a perfectly good footpath not 3 metres away...ARGH!

Those are annoyances, not dangers. Victor pointed out the main danger.

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

When pedestrians get in the way (which is very common on cycle paths that are contiguous with pedestrian walkways) they're usually just an annoyance. But yeah, they can be a hazard too, as can anything that makes you jam on the brakes suddenly.

Bettyboo2u wrote:
    Who is more dangerous to a cyclist? Cars, Trucks, White Van Man, Taxi’s, Pedestrians or fellow Cyclists

My own opinion is all of the above but I would give special mention to pedestrians. Today on my way to work cycling down the “cycle track” on the quays, for no apparent reason a pedestrian, listening to the latest sounds on her ipod stepped into the road and then smash bang.

I’m flat out on the pavement (thank the lord not on the road or I would not be writing this) the bike is lying 5 feet away and all this person did say was sorry, sorry and then continued on her merry way.

I have been hit by cars, fellow cyclists and pedestrians too many times. Never a Guard around to make a complaint to.

Anyone else got similar experiences?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭Jnealon

As I don't do any city cycling I would have to say women drivers. The few times I got hit by cars it was little old ladies. This would be followed by fellow cyclists doing all sorts of stupid stuff when you are in a large group and you know what happens there

GreeBo wrote:
    1) The hordes of joggers who insist on jogging in groups of 20+ 3 or 4 abrest down bikelanes, buslanes and often just on the road. Im thinking of making a complaint to the Rathfarnham & Bushy Park Running Clubs as these are the main culprits on my commute.
    These are often a hazard to themselves. A jogger is twice as likely to be killed or injured if running with traffic as against traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,152 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

It depends where you cycle I guess but in general cars cutting me up, not yielding at junctions where you have right of way, or opening their doors.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

There's less margin of error with heavy vehicles, so you'd have to say trucks and such would be most dangerous... but no traffic is dangerous if dealt with properly, and each is potentially fatal if dealt with incorrectly.

If you're cycling close enough to parked traffic for a door to hit you, you're potentially dead. If you make yourself visible to 40-foot articulated lorries and give them the space and respect they command, then you'll be fine. So I'm going to say the cyclist themselves is potentially his own worst enemy regardless of the other traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

people.

people are stupid, thick, idiotic and unbelievably irresponsible.(i am too) now couple this with the fact that they think they have made it when they own a big car and drive like they own the damn place and are always right.

Mod edit: remove admissions of vandalism ..

tbh most run ins i have are with milfs and 'desperate housewives' in their tanks also known as suvs...and most apologise and defend their selves with..'i didnt see you'...which when they say this they have admitted dangerous driving:D ..****ers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

beans wrote:
    So I'm going to say the cyclist themselves is potentially his own worst enemy regardless of the other traffic.
    Hear! Hear!

While I agree with all the other threats and hazards previously mentioned & particularly despise the mean and the ignorant, I think that if you know that you're your own worst enemy, you're going to survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

I almost got wiped by a bus on the way home this evening, but that's unusual. The most hazardous things on the road for a cyclists are motorcycles because they tend to try and share the same cyclists, with little regard for them, and substantially more speed.

But the most dangerous things for cyclists are unquestionably HGVs. Busses may be big and dangerous but they're usually quite aware of cyclists, (and in the case of close encounters it's easy to submit an official complaint) but trucks are highly dangerous, and often ignorant of cyclists. I will never pass a truck unless it is stationary (or clearly moving in a straight line) and I can see exactly where passing it will lead me to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Trucks are very dangerous. I just avoid the Quays for that reason. Dublin Bus are ok but Bus Eireann are serial killers, the same as the Aircoach.

Taxis are generally ok and cars...you get all.

Pedestrians are just idiots. I am fed up of people getting off the LUAS looking at their phones instead off the traffic while they cross the street.

beans wrote:
    So I'm going to say the cyclist themselves is potentially his own worst enemy regardless of the other traffic.

This sounds suspiciously like blaming the victim. I suppose Zak Carr was at fault because he should have known a sleepy motorist would drift into a layby and fatally hit him?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

suv's imo and dogs that try to chase you as well i hate them

Mucco wrote:
    This sounds suspiciously like blaming the victim. I suppose Zak Carr was at fault because he should have known a sleepy motorist would drift into a layby and fatally hit him?

There are exceptions to everything; I don't know the above example so I can't say. I was just making the point that IMO cyclists can spend too much time blaming trucks/cars/immigrants/whatever for their misfortune on the roads when lack of foresight and awareness on the cyclists part can be the real issue.

Obviously if you're at the side of the road and are hit by a car, then there's not much more you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭mockerydawg

Imo just about every single driver in Cork is potentinally dangerous. They cannot indicate, stay in lane (what for sure?) or wait behind a bike at a red light.

beans wrote:
    There are exceptions to everything; I don't know the above example so I can't say.

Zak Carr

Obviously, the Australian national team should not be on the roads when people are learning to drive, and Rhyl cycling club should stay off the roads when it's cold.

These are just three examples off the top of my head, if I actually searched, I'm sure I could find many more exceptions.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

beans wrote:

Mucco, I think the key word is here is 'potentially'. Accidents do happen: the racing cyclists probably did nothing wrong and were just unfortunate. However, for everyday cyclists in traffic, an acknowledgement that you're a vulnerable road user and that you probably won't get your road rights may save your life. Ride conservatively because you're probably surrounded by idiots. The appalling standard of driving in Ireland makes this even more important.

• Advertisement

That was terrible about the Welsh cyclists that time alright. Just goes to show you can be doing everything right and still wind up hurt or killed.

Edit - just read that ZC article; "The court heard that pieces of red glass from the cycle's rear-light were found embedded in the Rover's front bumper - which showed the cyclist had been hit from the rear." Jesus, he had no chance at all :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

I started cycling to work again a couple of years ago after many years of driving. I soon stopped. It's just too dangerous.

Drivers of cars/var/lorries/buses can sometimes be inconsiderate but I was prepared for that.

But what really horrified me was the complete and utter disregard that a lot of cyclists seemed to have for their own safety. Indeed, many seemed to have a "Go on, I dare ya" attitude towards vehicular traffic.

As I already said, other traffic can be inconsiderate (and downright dangerous) to cyclists, however until cyclists start taking more responsibility for their own safety it's largely pointless to complain about other road users.

So I suppose my answer to the OP is: Cyclists.

As a footnote: I wouldn't get on a bike without a helmet. On a few occasions I did a count of cyclists who wore helmets. Each time it worked out at about 25%. Jeez, I was wearing a cycle helmet 15 years ago.

Liam
    (Ducking and running for cover)

Watch out for the idiots, mostly the oblivious ones, but realise that the risks from cycling are lower than the risks from sitting in a car. Today's sedentary lifestyles means the risks from obesity + car accidents is greater than the risks of cycling accidents.

Also, try to wear a helmet, it not obligatory and it won't stop an accident. It may however for the sake of €20 reduce the severity of an accident. Again cycling without a helmet is overall safer than (driving + obesity)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

liamo wrote:
    As I already said, other traffic can be inconsiderate (and downright dangerous) to cyclists, however until cyclists start taking more responsibility for their own safety it's largely pointless to complain about other road users.

I agree with your point about some cyclists seemingly not having much regard for their own safety. There are plenty of them around, I see them almost everyday. However I also believe that those who do have a regard for their own safety should be allowed to voice concerns about other road users, regardless of what attitude other cyclists have.

It isn't pointless to complain about other road users. We have to complain whenever we see a problem, but most of us don't, at least not officially.

None of us are "the perfect road user", but that shouldn't stop us from highlighting problems.

I've never felt my safety to be threatened by another cyclists presence, but that's just my experience. However I have been knocked over by a car which pulled out right in front of me.

P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jman0

I've been cycle commuting for few years now, in Dublin.
    Been knocked by a private bus that overtook me on a narrow stretch, and have had a couple close calls with cars, specifcally 3 times when they've mostly overtaken me then abruptly turned Left.
    If it wasn't for my alertness to teh danger, quick reactions and good brakes i'd have been either over the bonnet, into the windscreen or into the passenger side door.
    Once somebody who was doubleparked opened the driver side door and i was lucky to have the braking power to stop.

i give out about cyclists too, also pedestrians but there is no argument about who is more dangerous to a cyclist. It's a no-brainer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭milod

I'm pretty sure trucks are most dangerous but I give them a very wide berth, also buses, white vans, and taxis, so my own accident experience is three minor tumbles (bruised/grazed) with pedestrians stepping into the road and one major tumble (fractured shoulder/lotsa blood) with an 'L' driver pulling out of a side road. There was also an embarrassing acrobatics display on account of a pot-hole, so maybe we should include Dublin City Council...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

King Raam wrote:
    I agree with your point about some cyclists seemingly not having much regard for their own safety. There are plenty of them around, I see them almost everyday. However I also believe that those who do have a regard for their own safety should be allowed to voice concerns about other road users, regardless of what attitude other cyclists have.

It isn't pointless to complain about other road users. We have to complain whenever we see a problem, but most of us don't, at least not officially.

None of us are "the perfect road user", but that shouldn't stop us from highlighting problems.
    You're absolutely right. I think I took my point a bit too far which detracted somewhat from my point.

Liam

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

King Raam wrote:

I am a regular called to TrafficWatch. On a few occasions the investigating Garda has asked me to come in and make a statement. They generally appreciate the report and statement. It can slowly make a difference.
    I report red light breaking, dangerous driving, and illegal turns (when they cross active pedestrian crossings).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Bettyboo2u

Beelzebub wrote:
    No similar complaints save for almost being hit by cyclists on the pavement, numerous times...only for my own quick reactions were there no major injuries involved.
    There is never a guard around to make a complaint to, in this regard either.

Not sure i get your point here! This is a cycling fourm for those interested in bikes to discuss mutual interests. The reason i mentioned there is never a guard around is because i would love to be able to report the incident because road traffic laws have been broken. As usual when a pedestrian steps in my path, a car cuts me out, a taxi stops in the middle of the road, a bus tries to join me on my saddle, etc, etc the usual response i get when i try to inform them of the errors of their ways is the two fingers and they then drive off or walk leaving me to pick myself up and try to continue my journey.

I don't mount pavements, i don't break red lights, i don't cycle madly around town, I’ve too much to lose! A wife and 4 kids. Every day I’m faced with the possibility i will end up in hospital or much worse because of the selfishness of others who for one reason or another won't respect my place on the road. I like most others have a car, a dam expensive one too but chose to cycle to work for the good of my own health and to do a small bit for the environment. All i ask of other road users in this city is to respect my space on the road as i do theirs. At the end of the day when a cyclist is in collision with any of the above it is the cyclist who has the most to lose and who will always come out worse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

GreeBo wrote:

Im thinking of making a complaint to the Rathfarnham & Bushy Park Running Clubs as these are the main culprits on my commute.

It is likely that it is the same people each day. Try stopping and having a firm but polite word to explain the purpose of the cycle lane. For the running clubs, I'd suggest calling the local Garda station and having a word with their community garda, who might pop out on his mountain bike along the joggers route.

Advertisement