Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change the citizenship law

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

Then change the name, it couldn't be that difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Europe and America should be kept seperate, I prefer the individuality and diversity that we have in Europe and if the EU was changed to allow all countries then it would be a shame in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Hydroquinone

DJ_Spider wrote:
    So I can stay here permanently, and marry my g/f. Even though I am only from the other side of the water I still had to apply at the embassy for my replacement UK passport. <note to self - must call the embassy and see if it's ready!>

Any Irish citizen has the right to stay in the UK indefinitely, ragardless of their marital status and the same is true for any British citizen wanting to stay in Ireland indefinitely. THis has always been the case, even prior to the invention of the EU.
    There has always been a special relationship between the two countries. That's why they let you travel between the two on a driver's licence, rather than needing a passport.

The only thing extra thing that Irish citizenship will confer on you is the right to vote in a constitutional referendum.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Jakkass wrote:
    Why would the US join the EU? They aren't in Europe...
    Neither is Cyprus.

And you're taking it a little too seriously as a suggestion if you're taking it seriously as a suggestion at all, though I'm not completely forever against the idea, though perhaps admitting the Russians first might be an option. Either way it's slightly outside of the original or evolved reason for this thread, though I'll happily discuss it seriously in about fifty years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

agreed neither is the French Guyana but it is part of it, maybe the overseas territory exception applys in the case of Cyprus considering the Greek Cypriot part is only in the EU (the situation still confuses me slightly). But at least it is closer to Europe than America is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Jakkass wrote:
    Why would the US join the EU? They aren't in Europe...

Watch out for those low-flying aircraft...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Diogenes

eric_31 wrote:
    I have lots of Irish ancestors, but my closest link to Ireland is my great-grandmother who came to the US as a child. Until the law is changed, I will not be able to obtain Irish citizenship.

Eric Hafner, New Jersey, US.

You wouldn't happen to be an attacking midfielder, with fantastic stamina?

Cause we'd change the citizenship law in a heartbeat if you were.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,422 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Jakkass wrote:
    agreed neither is the French Guyana but it is part of it, maybe the overseas territory exception applys in the case of Cyprus considering the Greek Cypriot part is only in the EU (the situation still confuses me slightly). But at least it is closer to Europe than America is.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_member_state_territories_and_their_relations_with_the_EU

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭dochasach

InFront wrote:
    Quite a large number of the Irish diaspora, as far as i understand, would have emigrated in the 1950s and 60s, and then again in the post EEC restructuring period of the 1980s. This country will be feeling the ramifications of its emigrative history for rather a long time into future genrations. In fairness, you have to stop somewhere.

Ireland currently has a large immigrant pool, and it's quite a headache.
    Being a non EEA economic migrant (or son thereof) I am admittedly biased, but basically your claim is that you have greater right to be here than I do.

This is why I think that is unfair. Take families with parents who are hardworking, for whom bringing up their children in Ireland is economically advantageous, and who have something that they can prove is of benefit to Ireland (usually a professional career, or a scholarship in the case of single individuals, and then unskilled workers to the point where certain sectors of the economy can sustain it and need it).
    I would suggest that these people have on a very superficial level, greater immigrative merit than somebody else from outside the EU who has nothing rather than the return of one of her citzen's American great great grandsons to offer the state.
    I would even question the necessity of granting an American with one generation 'grandparent citizenship' his residency on that basis alone. This is the case at present?

Surely the most sensible thing is to judge all immigration applications on the basis of their individual merit? I can see how, if one has an Irish parent one can feel a great tie with that country, but even a grandparent? I mean I have one grandmother who was born in India and the cultural or family tie I feel with that country amounts to approximately nothing. I certainly shouldn't think such a pointless fact of geneaology guarantees me to Indian citizenship, despite the terrible, historic parallells of 'forced' emigration that country has with Ireland.

There is a two-tiered approach to immigration in this country. Do you know that the Renewal of the 'Permission to Remain with an irish Born Child' Scheme for non EU nationals came into effect a few days ago? This means that you, with a great grandparent from Ireland but who may well (for all officialdom knows) never even have heard of ireland, have more right to be here today than parents with a child born in Holles Street in 2004 and is now in his 3rd year at least.

Those pre-2005 children have began speaking with irish accents (and may have started school here). Yet it is unclear whether their own parents will be allowed to stay. I personally, would be much more interested in seeing the parents of those children being given the right to remain here with them.

They are Irish children, and whilst their unborn great grandchildren will be allowed to come and go as they choose 100 years down the line, their own mothers enjoy no such freedom. I would suggest that an infant needs his mother rather than his potential grandchildren.

Well said. Am I the only one who would like to see a immigration or "blow-in" category on boards.ie under Soc? Perhaps Ireland would rather pretend we don't exist. A canvassing FF candidate was at my door the other day and was eager quickly passover our door when he heard my accent and remarked that we can't vote.

I've been here more than 5 years and my daughter all her life yet our visa, along with thousands of others in our situation is due to expire in days. The procedure for renewal was announced in January, we along with other friends submitted for renewal immediately and we were both told that it would not be looked at until after it expires. Myself and friends also faced people in the department who didn't understand the current system and who rejected out of hand requests which were clearly part of the prescribed process.

Thousands of new Irish and their parents are in limbo. Many have been here for more than 5 years and will seemingly always be stuck in the limbo of random two-year renewals while those without children on ordinary work permits their entire stay are allowed to apply for a green card after 5 years.

And now we hear that once again an election is upon us and rather than come up with a plan to use Irish prosperity to modernize infrastructure, improve health care, schools and housing affordability; we hear that once again Tanaiste McDowel(l) is trying to redirect our attention from problems they should have addressed. Ask LePenn in France or Pat Buchanan in the U.S., immigrants make very good pre-election scapegoats. Last election it was "citizenship tourists" and now it is "marriages of convenience."

I don't know whether to laugh or cry when Bertie grovels on behalf of Irish illegal immigrants in the U.S. and Dermot Ahern says Ireland has the best immigration system in the world. Either he is totally out of touch with what is going on, or (more disturbingly) he knows exactly the gauntlet of chaos new immigrants face here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Irish citizenship policy is completely bizarre.

I am a dual citizen, granted through my parents - not residency - although am also a dual resident.

My parents didnt become US citizens until the mid 80s so it was always a little weird going on different immigration lines when travelling back and forth, it made a kind of practical sense that I would have their citizenship also, despite not having their nationhood, if you get me. Yet if I had a child born in Ireland it would not get citizneship because I wasn't born there, even though I am a citizen and dual resident. Yet if I had a child and it could be born anywhere and still be entitled to US citizenship.

Another Irish solution to an Irish problem.

• Advertisement
Advertisement