Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

preparing new rig...

Options
  • 10-01-2007 2:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭

so it's time to bring myself into 2007 by entering poverty for a while & setting aside lots of money for a new rig.

here's what i'm thinking thus far:

EVGA nForce 680 mobo (SLI)
    Gainward 8800GTX 768MB
    C2D E6600

not sure about RAM/HDD etc. yet, but right now that's the main guts that i've eyed up. any comments/suggestions are greatly appreciated, on cheaper places and components you'd recommend (incl. ram/hdd/dvd drives and whatnot)...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Well there are price cuts coming for the Core 2 in Feb so you could either save money on the E6600 or upgrade to the E6700 when those come into effect.

Your display must be capable of resolutions greater than 1280x1024 to make the most of the 8800GTX otherwise get the 8800GTS instead as they are the same with everything cranked to the max at 1280x1024.

The eVGA board has a bug in the bios to do with SATA hard drives that has been fixed so be sure to flash the latest bios before installing Windows.

As for RAM doesn't matter what you get I'd go with 2GB of cheap DDR-2 667 and that will do the job fine, low latency stuff doesn't really have any significant impact.

As for HD's well I tend to go for two fast cheaper HD's in RAID 0 as the main HD the OS will be on and one or more large capacity HD as storage/backup.
    e.g two of these for RAID 0 & large HD.

Advertisement