Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buy a recovered stolen car off eBay?

Options
  • 10-01-2007 3:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Was just browsing through eBay there and saw a car that was stolen with the keys but recovered in perfect condition..
    Would this be worth bidding on if it could be won at a bargain price? The seller says it has no HPI... Is this a bit dodgy because this kind of thing is dodgy or is it perfectly normal and legal on both sides??

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Depends on the car, I suppose.

A couple of things come to mind. You'd need to make sure the keys have been replaced and if they're remote keys that they have been recoded. If the car was stolen, did the owner claim from insurance? If so, the car's not his to sell as when insurance pays out for a stolen car that is then recovered, it becomes their property as they have, in essence paid for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Hell no.

Chances are the car has been revved to bits. You'd really have to look at the engine.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I'm sure the thief was a lady driver who just drove it on sundays to mass. The car may have had the arse torn out of it, without getting it checked professionally would be risky I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid Avoid

or bid on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

It's
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=006&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=160072013123&rd=1&rd=1

Just wondering if it would be worth buying and selling on over here to get a more suitable car for me..
    BTW what year is a 52 reg??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

A 52 reg is the second half of 2002 (from July onwards, isn't it?).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

techguy wrote:
    BTW what year is a 52 reg??

EDIT: Damn you Robbo, you bet me to it! As far as I know, it's the second half of 2002.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

layke wrote:
    Hell no.

Chances are the car has been revved to bits. You'd really have to look at the engine.
    Loads of used cars have been "revved to bits". The rev limiter is there to stop any damage etc happening to the engine.

I'd get an inspection done by the AA or RAC before I stuck a bid on (unless it went for less than 25% open market value over there - then I'd just bid on it ;) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

techguy wrote:
    Just wondering if it would be worth buying and selling on over here to get a more suitable car for me..
    You can't...
    NO OVERSEAS BIDDERS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

commited wrote:
    Loads of used cars have been "revved to bits". The rev limiter is there to stop any damage etc happening to the engine.

I'd get an inspection done by the AA or RAC before I stuck a bid on (unless it went for less than 25% open market value over there - then I'd just bid on it ;) )

Agreed, BUT when some one steals a car they tend to do 1xx mph on a cold engine. Very Risky. Some cars are designed for high revs some are not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

also, it's a late 2002 car with 101k miles on the clock, kinda high mileage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

i personally would not buy a car from ebay and it does have high milage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

layke wrote:
    Agreed, BUT when some one steals a car they tend to do 1xx mph on a cold engine. Very Risky. Some cars are designed for high revs some are not.
    Indeed - but generally people with company cars/fleet cars etc drive like this too and lots of people have no problem buying them!

I HATE people who rag cars from cold though :mad: Especially when they come to me asking why its puffing out smoke...

Advertisement