Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Expectations??

Options
  • 10-01-2007 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hey all,

Here is something for you. Interested to get your feedback. We moved to Charlesland end of last summer - first house, v excited and all that. Knew a few people in Charlesland already, had also viewed this forum before moving and the Charlesland crowd seem to be a friendly bunch.

We live in a terraced house so obviously quite near the neighbours. But neither of the neighbours on either side acknowledged us - one guy was in his garden but kept the head down until about two weeks later after a few "sightings" I went up and introduced myself as he was heading out. They own the house and are permenant residents there. Have met them a couple of times since but they give me looks like im a nutball or something, I think they are expecting that if they make contact with me ill become that neightbour that you can never get rid of...

Other side have still never more than grunted at us if we happen to meet in the driveway and are also the homeowners. Not a smile not a wave , nothing.

I'm just so surprised! We are quiet, have done nothing to piss them off, Am I crazy to expect people to know their neighbours, at least their name or establish some sort of a basic contact in the interests of creating some sort of neighbourhood? I do not intend making friends, meeting socially or anything. Is it just not done anymore... am I expecting too much?

My friend says that big fences make the best neighbours. Ie keep out of each others way. Would you agree?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Hi

Thats really the norm nowadays, I had the same experience while renting a place a couple of years back, it really depends on where you decide to live. I think in Charlesland there might be a bit of an attitude towards people who rent from what you are saying it certainly sounds like it, although I know I shouldnt make a generalisation like that.

It could be a number of things as they might have had some dodgy neighbours in the place before...think about it... might have been a coke factory at some stage (joke)

Keeping the head down and letting them make first contact, is what I always found the best way to deal with neighbours. Sometimes distance is best TBH.

You'll get plenty of decent contacts on here though, im sure there are beers nights and stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

We rarely say more than "hello" to our neighbours, with the occasional chat.

I wouldn't read too much into it and certainly wouldn't think there was an attitude or that they think you're weird.

Personally, I think I'm a friendly chatty person, but to be honest, after a day at work, commuting and everything else, I just want to switch off when I get home and am happy if I see a neighbour to just acknowledge them and head into the house. I'm sure my neighbours are the same, so I don't worry about it.

For what it's worth, those boardsies I have met in person have been really nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Tomato

Yeah I guess you are right... feeling a bit better now.. thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

As well as the renting issue I think the fact that a lot of the residents arent from greystones and myself personally as a Bray woman with the strangest mix of a wicklow and Dublin accent find I get a few looks from the locals at first but after a chat to get to know them they find I am not the axe murdering drug dealer they where probably expecting!
    I am in a three bed with apartments overlooking me and often see my neighbours and they often see me too (in my pj's at all hours of the afternoon) but only actually met them properly last weekend and they are lovely! and they had thick culchie accents too which made me feel a whole lot better!

Can anyone let me know how the get togethers in Script over the past few months have gone. Would be nice to arrange another one.

Foxy, as you have expressed an interest, I hereby grant you the task of arranging the drinks!

Feel free to start a thread and Eoin or I will sticky it for you!

As far as I recall, the last drinks were a washout as, despite having booked tables, nobody recognised anyone else. I think not many people showed up either.

• Advertisement

I couldn't organise a pi*s up in a brewery! Is anyone else interested though because it would be a nice way to get to know the neighbours. Just thinking though this time we could organise a function room or something at least that way we would all be in the same place and not have to stare at people wondering if they are from Charlesland or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Tomato

.. Bearing in mind I wrote in my original mail that I hadn't intended to get to know my neighbours on a social level (!) .. I like your drinks plan and am happy to help set it up! Wasn't aware of the get togethers in Script, sometimes these things take a while to become established though so no harm giving it another go. This time with a big luminous sign... ha ha maybe not the sign. Or a big one at any rate. Who organised the last one?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

i don't think the previous ones were particularly successful - only small numbers turned up and ended up in different parts of the bar as they didn't recognise each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

foxy06 wrote:
    I couldn't organise a pi*s up in a brewery! Is anyone else interested though because it would be a nice way to get to know the neighbours. Just thinking though this time we could organise a function room or something at least that way we would all be in the same place and not have to stare at people wondering if they are from Charlesland or not!

I seem to remember the manager of Script saying he would put on a bit of finger food if someone gave him a heads up. I'm no longer in Charlesland, but I'm sure a lot of the other regulars here would be interested in a few pints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Marcais

Tomato wrote:
    Hey all,

Here is something for you. Interested to get your feedback. We moved to Charlesland end of last summer - first house, v excited and all that. Knew a few people in Charlesland already, had also viewed this forum before moving and the Charlesland crowd seem to be a friendly bunch.

We live in a terraced house so obviously quite near the neighbours. But neither of the neighbours on either side acknowledged us - one guy was in his garden but kept the head down until about two weeks later after a few "sightings" I went up and introduced myself as he was heading out. They own the house and are permenant residents there. Have met them a couple of times since but they give me looks like im a nutball or something, I think they are expecting that if they make contact with me ill become that neightbour that you can never get rid of...

Yeah, you sound like a complet Loon to me too, you are scaring your neighburs by the sounds of it ;)

• Advertisement

Does anyone want to take charge of organising drinks?

It doesn't have to be Script, by the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭LMC

I know the Court Res Assoc had drinks for xmas and again I believe not many turned up...I think alot of people hate the idea of walking in by themselves or dont want to be the only people sittining in a reserved area.
    If you got a couple of people from each area in charlesland (I allowed say estate???)......to do a letterbox box drop a week or two before the date it might work!!

Just a suggestion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

Does anyone want to take charge of organising drinks?

It doesn't have to be Script, by the way!
    Since you say it Mike, I think the Burnaby is a better bet. Script is like a bordello without the lapdancers, cant stand those big pictures of the ladies who accidentally lost their knickers during a piano recital.

Why dont you do the coffee shop a favour and have something there. You can BYO from Superquinn next door, get the lads to organise nibbles..... etc.

Before you ask I am not organising it!

Support the coffee shop, my gay friends in Melbourne tell me that the way to keep up real estate values is to join the "latte belt" (cheaper and less groovy than the espresso belt of the inner city) and a coffee shop is a big plus to those coming out to the suburbs for the big first time purchase!

Since you say it Mike, I think the Burnaby is a better bet. Script is like a bordello without the lapdancers, cant stand those big pictures of the ladies who accidentally lost their knickers during a piano recital.

Why dont you do the coffee shop a favour and have something there. You can BYO from Superquinn next door, get the lads to organise nibbles..... etc.

Before you ask I am not organising it!

Support the coffee shop, my gay friends in Melbourne tell me that the way to keep up real estate values is to join the "latte belt" (cheaper and less groovy than the espresso belt of the inner city) and a coffee shop is a big plus to those coming out to the suburbs for the big first time purchase!
    This seems like a good idea to me... No harm to give business to someone in the community. Does anyone else have an opinion?

If only somebody knew someone who worked there and could sound them out.......

(Foxy?)

Thanks for blowing my cover Mike!;) The lads would be delighted I'd say but what sort of numbers are we talking here......and this will probably mean I will be working for it:( I'll have a chat with them and pm you with details Mike seeing as your organising it now!!

No I'm not!

I will be travelling a lot over the next month or so, so chances are I won't even make it along!

Thought I might get away with that! What is the norm get numbers then set a date or vice versa

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

foxy06 wrote:
    Thought I might get away with that! What is the norm get numbers then set a date or vice versa

I'd say start a new thread, and Mike or myself will sticky it. Suggest a few dates, and see what's the most popular one.

Advertisement