Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lap Top Crashed and Died! help?...

• 10-01-2007 9:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭

hi lads:

I am having terrible bad luck with IT things this week!

My Laptop has crashed and died. Its just over a year old Dell Inspirion 6000.

I was working fine, until yesterday a buddy gave me a software package to hide my IP Address which I loaded up called Hide IP. (I threw Hide IP on as someone was spamming off my domain, re other thread, so the less public about me the better). And some Spyware dection software he gave me to install too. It also tried to install updates...before it died.

Last night laptop slowed up, and then crashed. The only way I can reboot is my turning power on and off. when I turn back on... I get the screen, which adivse me a few options to start in... and I started in Normal Mode.

The the screen goes blank black , and nothing happens....like its just freezing.

What can I do to solve this problem. I would unistall that bloody Hide IP and Spy software, if I could get into the bloody thing.

I am not techicial at all, and my IT guy is over in Uk right now.

Similar happened 4 months ago...and I had to get whole operating system re installed. I suspect he put a copied Wins Xp on there... am I parnoid...but am beginning to think when it tried to update MS...MS can detect this and sent something to crash me!!!!

Help!

G

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Moving to laptops. Can I advise wearing of tinfoil hat too? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭Millionaire

irlrobins wrote:
    Moving to laptops. Can I advise wearing of tinfoil hat too? :p

Can I advise of whacking Mod in gob with sharp right hook! :p LOL!

I managed to unstall the crap software I put on last night in Safe Mode...and Restarted...with some problem....

Windows Logo comes up, like computer is going to start as normal, then screen goes black/blank and nothing happenes....

Any ideas?

Thanks

G

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,842 ✭✭✭✭kippy

http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/thread1395.html
    A few tips there.
    The most notable would be boot in safe mode and do a system restore to some time before the apps were installed.
    Theres a lot of info on that thread though.
    Kippy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I think system restore would be a good start.

Also, when in safe mode, check what programs are starting up. Click on start->run and enter msconfig in the box. Press enter/return and you will get another box, one of the tabs on the box will be startup. Click on that and disable everything (unless you know what is good).

Repeat the process, each time enabling one program in startup at a time to see if you can narrow down the problem.

You can then take off your tinfoil hat.

This is more of a Windows problem than a specific laptop problem. Given the problems you are having, I'll leave it here for the time being and see how we get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭Millionaire

Hi Lads!

Cheers thanks.
    I did systems restore...and all seems to be working fine now... fingers crossed.

Appreciate the help!

G

• Advertisement
Advertisement