Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tito Ortiz comments on HHH

• 10-01-2007 10:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭

"Tito Ortiz was recently asked in Steppin’ Out Magazine about how a wrestler like Triple H would fare in UFC. Ortiz answered, "I think he would be horrible. He's too stiff and his cardio fitness is horrible. A guy like that isn't an athlete. We're running, lifting, and training every day, not for looks or to show off our bodies, but to fight and last five rounds at full strength". "

Credit: lordsofpain.net/pwinsider

Opinions on this? I would also like to hear from current wrestling trainees/mma, etc on this

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

In my opinion he's wrong and being disrespectful. Most MMA guys appreciate how tough professional wrestling is.

Obviously Triple H wouldn't have anywhere near the conditioning of a boxer or an MMA fighter. For 1 thing he'd be on the road 5 days a week. Its just not possible.

A wrestler does 4 shows a week for 50 odd weeks of the year. Its about maintaining your look as well as your cardio. For a fighter its about physically peaking for 3-4 fights a year.

But, to wrestle at the level Triple H has for so long makes you to an athlete. Its just a different kind of athleticism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Tito talking out of his arse

doesnt surprise me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

daveirl wrote:

Bingo.

daveirl wrote:

I agree, he'd get massacred in the UFC. And that was the question he was asked to be fair.

But I think its harsh to say that HHH isn't an athlete.

Again I've never done it so I'm no expert. But wrestling to me is athletic activity by its very nature (unless your Khali) and to do it as well as Triple H over such a long time makes him a very good athlete.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Again I've never done it so I'm no expert. But wrestling to me is athletic activity by its very nature (unless your Khali) and to do it as well as Triple H over such a long time makes him a very good athlete.

I suppose it really depends on your view of Trips wrestling style? I wouldn't consider his style to be over athletic, personally, but that’s just me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

It's a disrespectful and pretty laughable comment from Ortiz when the guy probably most recognisable from UFC over the past few years is a guy who gained attention from being part of the Attitude era. I'm guessing Steppin' Out Magazine forgot about that.

Also I don't see what's wrong with Triple H's cardio when he has wrestled very long matches and not blown up. If you can last 60 minutes in a ring with Chris Benoit there's nothing wrong with your cardio. In fact, I question how Ortiz would handle it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

daveirl wrote:

I don't know if he is essentially correct. The answer is seems to be based on the assumption that Triple H would not change his training regime and continue his normal routine. As people have pointed out wrestling and ufc are not the same thing, and you train differently for them. You wouldn't expect Thierry Henry to pick up a tennis racket and win wimbledon without training for it.

Cactus Col wrote:
    I don't know if he is essentially correct. The answer is seems to be based on the assumption that Triple H would not change his training regime and continue his normal routine. As people have pointed out wrestling and ufc are not the same thing, and you train differently for them. You wouldn't expect Thierry Henry to pick up a tennis racket and win wimbledon without training for it.

Exactly. Different sports require different things from participants.

Although again, your not gonna walk into MMA at 37 and beat a top guy just by training differently for 6 months. Maybe you could in 1997. But not in 2007. The sport has moved on to a such a degree.

Also for anybody interested, heres a link for all the UFC all access shows (Tito Ortiz, Lidell, Hughes, Babalu) which give a glimpse into the training involved. Rich Franklin's from the sheer level of training he does is really worth a watch.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ufc+all+access&search=Search

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

In fact, I question how Ortiz would handle it.

I'd imagine that Tito is a lot better conditioned than HHH, seeing as he's probably the best conditioned guy in the UFC. At least until Couture makes his comeback official. HHH I couldn't see doing well in mma, but other wrestlers would be better able to give it a go than him

Don't forget that Tito's a bit of a TNA mark, so that might have influenced his answer on HHH

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

There is no question about it. HHH wouldn't last 30 seconds, Tito's right.

Advertisement