Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC World!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

eth0_ wrote:
    So there's not much point to their Coverplan? Apart from accidental damage?

More or less...it will stop you from having to go to the small claims court though if you have it!

But if you're spending €2000 on a new laptop...you might want to think about it....it's amazing how easy it is to break them! It covers theft as well for 12 months....which is not too bad! But it really boils down to if you want peace of mind or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Compak

Question,
    with 665 views and all bad comments about the store would it be a good idea to send a link to the DSG head office to show the longer this lasts the more bad publicity they are getting among computer users the. Im sure by now they will have lost sales in their insurance alone to cover a 180 euro sale price monitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Should his fight actually be with PC world though? Is it up to the retailer still or is it up to the manufacturer (compaq) to replace?
    Fair enough PC world staff are muppets a lot of the time and shopping there is a trial! I went in to 3 different PC worlds looking for wireless keyboard/mous special. all gone but i noticed that only half of the actual products had prices and most of them had a different product on the shelf than was on the price!!! So i walked out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Saruman wrote:
    i noticed that only half of the actual products had prices and most of them had a different product on the shelf than was on the price!!! So i walked out.

i noticed the same thing too and correct me if i'm wrong but is this not illegal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭haz

miju wrote:
    i noticed the same thing too and correct me if i'm wrong but is this not illegal

Yes, it certainly is illegal: "European Communities (Requirement to Indicate Product Prices) Regulations, 2002, from the 1st March 2003, will require that consumers be protected by the indication of product prices offered to consumers. These regulations will transpose Directive 98/6/EC, of February 1998, into Irish Law."
    http://www.odca.ie/cfmdocs/c_query/retail.cfm

• Advertisement

I'm not sure though if the tickets which has the price on it must also have the product name/specs....if not then anyone could walk into a shop and pick up something expensive....walk around and put it on a shelf with a cheaper price and make a claim to the lower amount!

But if a shop is showing a price, with a product spec and model number etc on it, but actually selling it at a higher price than you may have a point! Don't forget however, that a price tag is only an inviatation to treat and not a contract, so a shop doesn't have any legal obligation to sell it to you at all!

Saying that....have you ever walked into a shop, found a product with a price tag, and went to the till to pay to find out it had gone DOWN in price? Happens to me every now and again.....funny though nobody ever mentions those incidents!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

catch--22 wrote:
    More or less...it will stop you from having to go to the small claims court though if you have it!

But if you're spending €2000 on a new laptop...you might want to think about it....it's amazing how easy it is to break them! It covers theft as well for 12 months....which is not too bad! But it really boils down to if you want peace of mind or not!

insure it on your household insurance policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

catch-22 i've never heard of that 6 year thing before, and used to work in retail with pc's, so i really think thats bad advice, another story tho- apparently (and i've seen it argued) monitors of merchantable qualtiy should last x thousand hours, and if yours didnt you may be in look. cant remember how many hours it is, but try researching maybe?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

heggie wrote:
    catch-22 i've never heard of that 6 year thing befor
    The reason being the dear poster of it decided to go on a very unique understanding of it. It has to do with having electronics (which includes the like of fridges and washing machines) working for a normal expected time of such a product (so a fridge that breaks out of the blue in 2 years is to be repaired etc.). This would not cover PCs, mobile phones etc. for six years as they are not expected to work for such a long time with out problems.

Sorry, let me clarify....I used to work in retail (electronics/PC's). I was on the same understanding of anybody else...you have a warrenty....it will be repaired but not outside of it unless you purchased and extension!

We even used to laugh at the stupidity of people coming in with their rceipt that was 13 months old with their broken PC and looking for a repair!

Then one day a woman came in with a broken PC (funny one with a built in moniter) and claimed a full refund as it had broken. It was 5 months old and the company policy was to repair it, not refund or replace.....unless the repair went on for (i think) 4 weeks. I told her this, she wasn't too happy and left. Came back in a few hours later claiming that in fact her bit of kit should have life expectancy of 6 years. And she was fully entitled to a refund or a replacement. She was a very nice lady and very detirmed about this information. So I said I'd look into it and get back to her.

ui rang up the office of consumer affairs on 1890 220 229 (where she claimed to get this information) and pretended to be in the same situation as the woman. A very nice lady gave me the same information back....saying that really i would be covered on an electronic item for up to 6 years. She mentioned that this would be dependant on the judge in the small claims court and so varies slightly...but also mentioned that most large retailers won't let it go that far....she said the nearly always lose and pay up before hand!

Have to say I was a bit shocked (thought back to all the people we had turned away over the years) and went and told my manager. It was news to her as well but said that company policy wouldn't allow her to give a refund. So called the woman back and told her that she prob have to go to the small claims court with it and wished her luck!

She never got back to me on how she got on....but I have been preaching this to a lot of people since. I mentioned it to a work colegue of mine (she owned a Macbook Pro, 2 months outside of warrenty) and she was having problems with a faulty screen! She sent a letter to Apple about the problem...they ignored her....laid a claim in the small claims court (cost her €15) and a few weeks down the line she was issued and new replacement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Six years!!! LOL!!! No wonder prices are so high in Ireland if stores have to cover products outside of manufacturers warranty!

Advertisement