Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new gpu upgrade advice please

Options
  • 10-01-2007 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭

hi there, i need to get a new graphics card as mine is fried, would you have any suggestions taking into account my processing power?

i have an amd 3500 venice and 1Gb Ram, and my current gpu is a 6600GT PCI express

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I like the 7900GS right now... I upgraded to it from a 6600GT and for a ~€200 upgrade, I'm very pleased with the performance gain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

thanks donkeystyle, just one question, do i have enough processing power to get the best out of it or is it just going to slow it down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

The CPU is fine.

The 7900GS or X1950 Pro are the current €200 best buys. While they are both similar in performance the X1950 Pro has better IQ and some nice features* so I would go with it instead Dabs have them for €188 which is a very good deal.

* AVIVO DVD decoder, better AA & HDCP support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I run mine with a 4000 SanDeago which isn't that far off... it still slaps my 6600GT around... regardless of whether it reaches its full potential, it's still a better card than the 6600GT, and you'll notice the improvement.
    8T8 wrote:
    Dabs have them for €188 which is a very good deal.
    Woah, when did these X19xx price drops happen?! :eek:
    I would have fancied one of those for folding :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The X1950pro is even better then I expected - able to run FEAR at 1280x1024, all options on max, full AA and AF and soft shadows on. I have the HIS model which is clocked higher then the standard x1950pro. Given that its either the same price or even cheaper I'd definately choose it over a 7900gs.

http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?cID=1016&pageID=2864

• Advertisement

thanks for the replies guys, those cards look good. Will i have a hard time (ie will there be a lot of tweaking necessary at the beginning) if i switch from nvidia to ATI? what are colour renditions like with ATI as i do a lot of photography also?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Same as NVIDIA your display calibration is the important factor I always assumed in that area.

ATI cards have a control panel for altering colour controls if you so wish as well.

ok, just ordered the x1950pro from dabs. thanks for the link

Advertisement