Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine as a bb provider?

Options
  • 10-01-2007 12:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi,

My sister is thinking of signing up to Imagine for her broadband. it has a contention ratio of 48:1. Now, i understand what that means in theory but i'm wondering what it means in practice... anyone have any info either on the practical quality of a 48:1 ratio line or even any experience with Imagine?

thanks!
    Claire
    :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 dublinli

hi,
    i have been using imagine for the last year, never had any problems. I would not worry about the contention ratio too much unless you would be playing online games etc., i.e. heavy user. If it is just for web browsing and the odd downloads it shouldn't matter much, in my view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I'm with Gaelictelecom, which is Imagine. On their 1meg DSL service and tbh, it's fine for playing games even with the high contention.

HL2 dm plays fine. CoD2 aswell but it didn't like torrents running at the same time tho.

No complaints so far about the service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭fluppet

BT Ireland also has a contention ratio of 48:1 (except on their more expensive products). One reservation I had about Imagine when I was looking at their website is some thing they enable on your account by default which is free for the first month or two, and then you have to go to their website and disable it yourself or they start billing you for it (a few euros a month). I don't like that kind of sneeky stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 claireb1234

Thanks for the info!

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Darando

I have Imagine as both phone and broadband provider. Currently on their always on tariff - 9.99 for 1MB speed. Its grand never had any problems. As was stated earlier - just make sure you log onto the website and disable the family protection feature after the 1st month- otherwise paying an extra 2.99 for nothing really.

I often check my connection speed and its always pretty much around the 1MB mark.

Other thing is its a 12 month contract although I think this is pretty standard with all BB providers.

Never had downloading issues.

• Advertisement
Advertisement