Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How big is it?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Redshift wrote:
    Take a look at this video,

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3020803111770641453

Kinda puts it all in perspective

Dammit ok i think ill have to post this in tech
    i cant view flash sites in work because i don't have the latest flash player so i logged out logged in with the admin password then installed the latest flash but when i log in as myself i still cant seem to access those sites/videos

anyway ill take a look when i go home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Oh how I'd love to be able to zoom around the entire universe exploring each galaxy. It's soooo big.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

That would take you a long time Kevster. :)

A good video.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

Ride on see you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

...Race-ya to Alpha Centauri! :cool: ...Should be there by tea-time, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Here's another one, showing some stars and planets in scale :
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3974466981713172831

...it's a big place alright. Like, really big. Far moreso than a trip down the chemist.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

That video is missing Uranus.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Kevster wrote:
    Oh how I'd love to be able to zoom around the entire universe exploring each galaxy. It's soooo big.

This is a start at least...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 kongs99

type of universe in the video it's says the universe is 78 billion light years across, that statement is wrong. what he should have said the universe is at least 78 billion light years across .

test that were done in 2004 found that ripples in the microwave radiation afterglow left by the big bang reveal that the universe is at least 78bn light years across and growing. the same researchers are doing more detail test now and they reckon its nearer 90 billion light years if not a lot larger

and this all depends on which type of universe theory you believe in
    1/ close universe
    2/ open universe
    3/ or the universe that deals with the theory of inflation

it even quiet possible that the number given (78 billion L Y's) is only a very small fraction of the entire universe.

it's worth noting the diameter of the visible universe is 28 billion light years across, it's to do with how far visible light travel since the time of last scattering about 400000 years after the big bang approx 14 billions years ago.

i wonder what the civilisations on a galaxy at the edge of the 78 billion light years universe see?

Advertisement