Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How fragile are solar panels?

Options
  • 10-01-2007 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

Hi all - I'm deciding between putting a solar panel on the back kitchen extension (with only afternoon light) or on the garage roof (with light all day). The only disadvantage of the garage is that it backs onto the back lane, with the risk that something occasionally might be thrown onto the roof (there was a u-bend thrown over a few weeks ago, which was a bit odd). You wouldn't see the panel from the road, but still.

In the unlikely event that someone threw a brick (or another u-bend) over, how fragile is a solar panel? If the glass cracked, would the whole thing have to be replaced? And can it be protected in any way - say with a wire cage?

I appreciate your thoughts on this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭AJL

I know the tubes are very fragile and would break easily.
    I fitted the panels. More robust but not sure what they can withstand. Maybe talk to a supplier. They will adivse you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Echelle

The tubes are fairly fragile.They can be broken by kids throwing stones, or hurling balls can smash them.
    Metal protective grills can be fitted, although they are a bit unsightly.
    I have been told if one or two tubes are broken the system will still function at almost 100%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Musha

Hi UB,

Tubes are fragile enough but they are made from toughened glass and should be able to withstand a hailstone the size of a golf ball, But a well thrown brick would do damage. you could have two or three broke before you would notice a major difference in the hot water system. To replace one tube would be about 30euro. If a flat panel is broken you would have to replace the whole unit. Does you garden get the sunlight you could place it on the ground out of sight from the skangers and their stones. Factor in the possible heatloss from running piping from you garage to the hotwater cyclinder as well.

Advertisement