Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Request: Link to Map for Dublin Postal Codes

• 10-01-2007 2:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭

Does anybody know where i can find online a mao with the diffrent postal codes in dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

that map didnt work as I need to see where the boundry is between D17 and D9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,479 ✭✭✭✭Victor

jjbrien wrote:
    that map didnt work as I need to see where the boundry is between D17 and D9
    Ah, for that I'll have to find a specific (paper) map.

What do you need to know? You are possibly better off checking street addresses in google and goldenpages.ie if you want it today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Thanks victor but still not detailed enough. Anybody I am trying to resove an arguement been my company and an Post. They say my business address is in D17 but we are saying and eveybody says in in D9 as it Santry. The address we are trying to find our about is Woodford Business Park or Airways Industrial.

• Advertisement

You won't win. There is no legal basis for post codes, its just down to whatever delivery office does your mail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

You are right though, Airways isn't anywhere near D17. And i should know, cos i live there.
    An Post are weird about postcodes, they recently moved us from D5 to D17, just came round and changed all our road name plates.

Actually looking at that list up there, i don't see coolock which is odd. I wonder if i now live in darndale or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,484 ✭✭✭✭Alun

You are right though, Airways isn't anywhere near D17. And i should know, cos i live there. An Post are weird about postcodes, they recently moved us from D5 to D17, just came round and changed all our road name plates.
    From what I can tell, and as Victor says, there is no legal basis for these postcodes. In fact they're not even postcodes at all, they're postal districts, defined by which sorting office / main delivery office delivers your mail, not by any rigidly defined geographical boundary. So if An Post decide for whatever reason that they should start delivering your mail from the D17 delivery office instead of the D5 one, you're in D17 by definition, end of story.

Now if we had proper postcodes, that'd be another story ...

jjbrien wrote:
    Thanks victor but still not detailed enough. Anybody I am trying to resove an arguement been my company and an Post. They say my business address is in D17 but we are saying and eveybody says in in D9 as it Santry. The address we are trying to find our about is Woodford Business Park or Airways Industrial.
    I took a look as the map. The line essentially runs along the Malahide Road, across Oscar Traynor Road and the up the motorway. It then stopped short of the edge of the map between Woodford Business Park or Airways Industrial Estate. So inconclusive.

However, if they have gone to the bother of changing street signs, then I suspect you are D17.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

You can't really boil the postal districts of Dublin down to a map. Only delivery addresses have postcodes, not areas of land. The postcode will depend on the most convenient way to access the delivery address, not where it is located.

To be fair to An Post, this is the way postcode systems work in many countries, perhaps most countries, i.e, the code changes as the postal company's internal operating divisions change, which is going to happen a lot in an area as fast-growing as North Dublin.

Certainly, code revisions are common in the UK, in line with changes in Postmans' walks. In the US, the divisions seem to be resolved and if necessary moved, by agreement between the two neighbouring postmasters.

However, if you were designing a system from scratch (or at least if I was), you would try to avoid doing it that way, because you would want to cater for the possibility of competition in the logistics market, and having one player changing the codes frequently is obviously going to have some impact on competitors' ability to serve customers. In the UK they cater for this by making code changes in a very structured, centrally controlled way. In the US, things are a bit more fluid. Changes are made locally, and it can be some time before a change in codes on the ground is reflected in the central online database. (http://www.usps.com/ncsc/ziplookup/zipcodefaqs.htm)

It is worth looking on the address checker on anpost.ie, but I doubt you will get much solace there. I had a quick look. Woodford Business Park is definitely in Dublin 17. Most of Airways Industrial Estate is too, although some of it (Estuary Road) is listed as Swords, County Dublin.

• Advertisement

Most of Airways Industrial Estate is too, although some of it (Estuary Road) is listed as Swords, County Dublin.
    Thats a whole different address. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

How is this (thread) a consumer issue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

With the advent of Eircodes, it turns out that it was D17 all along!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,440 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's a threshold of sanity for bouncing old threads, this crosses it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement