Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baton down the hatches tonight?

Options
  • 10-01-2007 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭

Looking at the GB wind map here, conditions look very stormy for tonight. The weather forecast last night on the 9 O'clock news described gale force winds, but it sure looks like we going to get a a lot more than that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Yes i will post more on tonights winds soon..

I am testing my wrf model at the moment which will be realeased soon for testing!

Quickly about tonight..

Were expecting a really quick increase in winds come about 9/10pm tonight
    Heavy rain will accompany the strong winds.

Winds will be very strong throughout the country even inland it will be noticeably windy.

Gusts to 70mph are possible around the Greater Dublin area later with western Ireland recieving gusts to 80mph or more.

Even central areas will recieve gusts to 60mph

more later

• Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Looks bad alright, a good few satellite dishes will need adjusting in the morning from the looks!

The tafs seem to keep upgrading the winds which is a slighly worrying trend.

EIDW 101800Z 101904 21018G30KT 9999 FEW020 BKN080 BECMG 2022 20030G45KT SCT012 BKN020 BECMG 2224 23030G45KT SCT008 BKN012 TEMPO 2303 24035G58KT 3000 RADZ BKN006 BECMG 0204 24028G44KT SCT020 =

Thats the 18:00 forcast for Dublin airport now showing sw winds between 23:00 and 03:00 of 35Knots gusting to 58KTs which is pretty bad!

Cork Airports one isnt much better..

TAF EICK 101800Z 101904 21015KT 9999 SCT006 BKN015 BECMG 1921 22027G42KT 5000 RA SCT003 BKN006 TEMPO 2204 23033G52KT 2000 -RADZ BKN002 OVC004 =

Between 23:00 and 04:00 SW winds averaging 33Knots gusting to 52Knots.

A stormy night ahead for sure.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Got very windy here all of a sudden in upper abbeyfeale, will post more later.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Tis getting pretty gusty here in Carlow atm.

Winds really getting up here now, looks like its going to be a wild night.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Skyscrapers in Dublin city must be blocking the wind here as its just died a death now.

Snowbie wrote:
    Skyscrapers in Dublin city must be blocking the wind here as its just died a death now.

Dublin city centre and areas close seem to be very sheltered, I lived in the city centre for about 5 years and about another 4 in Rathgar and the big wind events often seemed to not happen there.

I can assure you its bloomin' windy at the moment here though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

its very windy here on the coast in Kerry ... Started about 6pm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Robxxx7 wrote:
    its very windy here on the coast in Kerry ... Started about 6pm
    Yes same here very windy night to be had
    Pressure at 1013mb

Longfield wrote:
    Dublin city centre and areas close seem to be very sheltered, I lived in the city centre for about 5 years and about another 4 in Rathgar and the big wind events often seemed to not happen there.

I can assure you its bloomin' windy at the moment here though!

I was just been facetious,any sort of southerly gale seems to be obscured by the wicklow mountains or buildings like in the city even though im well away from the city.Friction does it unfortunately,takes away the energy.Your up a height and it would be more inclined to be stronger.Winds in from the SE tend to be less prone to land friction and so do be stronger here anyway.

Meanwhile its now picked up and the rain is pouring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

Heavy rain and strong gusting winds in Portmarnock - lights flickered once this evening. Have the candles ready!

dak wrote:
    Heavy rain and strong gusting winds in Portmarnock - lights flickered once this evening. Have the candles ready!
    They flickered once here too but am unsure if it was wind related..

Evening fellow portmarnockan;)

Winds increasing here now.

Expected to peak towards 3/4am

Already a gust to 71mph in Bellumllet and widespread gusts all round the country..

Rain pelting down also..

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Anyone know if its due to die down by early tomorrow morning?

Its to remain strong even into tomorrow morning.Rain will clear though tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Lovely, well hopefully it won't affect any flights out of Dublin airport!

Will remain windy tomorrow but not stormy :)

Your flight should be grand;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Already a gust to 71mph in Bellumllet and widespread gusts all round the country..

If that's repeated in Dublin, flights will be diverted. Highly unlikely from what i can gather, but takeoff is easier with a headwind than landing, all you need is a 150kt gust and you don't even need throttles up to get airborne :)

Rain has stopped and wind has got a lot stronger.Gusting constantly over 35mph and avg up to 24mph.

They flickered once here too but am unsure if it was wind related..
    It wasnt.
    I heard a major sub station went on fire in North Dublin cutting power as far as Drogheda.
    You're lights flickering were probably due to a related power surge.

Driving home from Blackrock in South Dublin around 1030pm through Deansgrange and south as far as Kilmacanogue, the Rain was truly monsoonal and blowing across the road in steamy straight lines-it looked like A CNN report from Florida during a Hurricane except the wind was only maybe 30 or 40 mph.

Very little rain here in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

yeah, the lights flickered here in dun laoghaire too. pretty gusty winds with rain still.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Lights flickered here aswell just the once i wonder how far down the coast the surge went. Very gusty here now and driving rain, although like snowbie it is very windy but it's never nearly as bad as most other places are recording unless it's an easterly gale and then we're f*cked because we flood on the mouth of the river dargle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Yeh, the lights did do something strange, no idea what time, but reasonably early in evening.

Wet and windy now.

Mean up to 30mph, max gust 46mph.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Gust of 75mph (122km/h) recorded at malin head.

It seems to have stopped raining here but it is still gusty.

At this time of night and at this time of the week you would see taxis taking people home from the nightclubs. there doesn't seem to be anything at all moving outside, there isn't a sinner out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

trogdor wrote:
    Lights flickered here aswell just the once i wonder how far down the coast the surge went. Very gusty here now and driving rain, although like snowbie it is very windy but it's never nearly as bad as most other places are recording unless it's an easterly gale and then we're f*cked because we flood on the mouth of the river dargle.

Lights went here too, very windy here at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

finner camp reporting a gust of 82 mph.

It is still extremely windy here in Limerick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

The roar of the wind is now deafening here. Just read 82mph.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

goddamn window rattle - probably should wedge it into place at this point...

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

very very windy here in killiney!

Max gust was 46mph 0130am and wind eased off around 0400 only to pick back up at 0700 with a gust of 43mph.
    Rain 14.3mm

• Advertisement

max gust here was only 44mph 15 mins ago-but I guess we are south Leinster so a tad out of this things range.
    Not much rain either.

Quite windy though-consistently above 30mph and now I must hit the N11 again :eek:

Advertisement