Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oblivion Newbie

• 10-01-2007 3:13pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I see from this very quiet forum that you all must have finished this game. However, I only started playing it this christmas and as it's the first game I've played in about 8 years, you could say I'm a total newbie at this.

So, my problem is, I'm stuck in the Tiber Septims Shrine.
    Now I understand you need an enchanted weapon, the runes outside gave me a bow, as I've used swords up till now, I'm useless with it.
    I went in with in hand all the same, only to have something happen which makes me loose it each time.
    I spent two hours last night on it and was ready to throw the controller at the screen in complete frustration by the end.
    Someone gimme a hint!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Duras

Beruthiel wrote:
    I see from this very quiet forum that you all must have finished this game. However, I only started playing it this christmas and as it's the first game I've played in about 8 years, you could say I'm a total newbie at this.

So, my problem is, I'm stuck in the Tiber Septims Shrine.
    Now I understand you need an enchanted weapon, the runes outside gave me a bow, as I've used swords up till now, I'm useless with it.
    I went in with in hand all the same, only to have something happen which makes me loose it each time.
    I spent two hours last night on it and was ready to throw the controller at the screen in complete frustration by the end.
    Someone gimme a hint!

Even if I started this game ages ago (just when it was released), I never get the chance to finish it... :( NO TIME...

Well, from what I understand you are "stuck" in the Shrine as your weapons can not kill the ghosts... Any enchanted weapon will do some damage, also if you find a silver or daedric weapon (dagger, sword etc) take it in your hands and smash the guys! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

yup if you are fighting ghosts and wraiths you need enchanted, silver or daedric weapons to be effective. Usually on the little loading screen they give you tips like that

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Only for the stupid bow I got from the runes outside, I have no enchanted, silver or daedric weapons.
    Do you know where I can obtain a silver weapon?

Also,
    why was the bow taken off me when I go back into the shrine?

Thanks guys!

What level are you at?? If you are very low level then good weapons will be hard to come by as they just don't appear in the game yet.

You might be able to buy some in the main city in the market district.

You can also use magic on ghosts, magic staffs or spells will do the business.

If that mission is pissin you off go and join a guild, thiefs, mages, fighters or the dark brotherhood. They start fairly easy and soon you'll be armed to the teeth and whip those ghosts into shape

I'm level 7
    Vegeta wrote:
    If that mission is pissin you off go and join a guild, thiefs, mages, fighters or the dark brotherhood. They start fairly easy and soon you'll be armed to the teeth and whip those ghosts into shape

Sounds like a plan, thanks for the help :)

• Advertisement

Beruthiel wrote:
    I'm level 7

Sounds like a plan, thanks for the help :)

the game is so vast that anytime you get stuck somewhere just head off and do something else, you can always go back and do the other stuff when you have the right gear or interest. Change your mission in the select mission page and away you go, a different story to follow.

happy gaming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

Level 7 should be high enough for some silver weapons to be popping up at least. I think I might still be level 7 (I try to never sleep) ... but I've had a silver longsword for ages, so I imagine they're around from nearly the very start.
    An easy way to get an enchancted weapon is to spend a night in that floating tavern thing in the Imperial City Waterfront... at least that's the first enchanted weapon I can remember getting. Silver weapons just appeared on dead people, so I can't recommend where to get one. Do they sell them? I imagine they do somewhere.

I just got this at xmas too, and it's a nice tribute to Oblivion that you can play the games so many ways...I've never gone into the Tiber Septum shrine, I got as far as the Shrine to Dagon bit and then went to the arena, then the thieves guild, then the fighters guild, mages, brotherhood etc... and loads of side quests keep popping up. It feels like I could play forever without actually having to complete the main missions (though is it just me or do more and more Oblivion gates seem to keep opening up?)

Well, I'm level 17 now and 67 hours later, have completed the main quest. \o/

Am now interested in making loads of money so I can buy houses and furnish them to the highest standards. :D
    Any suggestions on making welcome.

Is there a house for sale in the Imperial City?
    Spent last night looking for it without success.

I think the best way of making money is high strength and a good feather spell/potion. Go into a dungeon or cave or lair and carry loads of stuff back to the shops (ebony/glass armour and weapons etc) and flog it.

I also find making tons of potions is a decent way of making a few quid.

There is a house in the imperial city but as far as i remember its a shack on the waterfront.

I wouldn't bother with it. Have you joined the theives guild???

Are you playing on PC or xbox 360

The mods on the PC are amazing....AMAZING. you can have animal companions who help you in battle etc

Vegeta wrote:
    I also find making tons of potions is a decent way of making a few quid.

You know I have never even attempted to make potions. Will have to give that a go.
    I wouldn't bother with it. Have you joined the theives guild???

I tried, but couldn't find your wan to steal the book back off her (Imp. City)
    Can I go somewhere else to join them?
    Are you playing on PC or xbox 360

xbox 360

• Advertisement

Beruthiel wrote:
    You know I have never even attempted to make potions. Will have to give that a go.

I tried, but couldn't find your wan to steal the book back off her (Imp. City)
    Can I go somewhere else to join them?

The final reward for finishing the thieves guild is
    guild master with a big fancy guild building on the waterfront
    , so you don't really need the house in the imperial city

I don't know what to do if you didn't complete the book theft mission. I too couldn't find the house. So I robbed it from one of the other theives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

You can still join the thieves guild, even though the other thief got the book first. The guy who gave you the quest should give you a second chance, where you have to steal a sword from one of the shopkeepers. Thankfully that quest isn't a contest, so even if you failed the other one ages ago, you should still be able to join.

Once you've joined, you can make money very quickly by just raiding every single shop in the city.

Also, try increasing your mercantile skill, it actually makes a suprising amount of difference in the amount of money you can get for all of your junk, plus the shopkeepers will have more money too.

Blowfish wrote:
    You can still join the thieves guild, even though the other thief got the book first. The guy who gave you the quest should give you a second chance, where you have to steal a sword from one of the shopkeepers. Thankfully that quest isn't a contest, so even if you failed the other one ages ago, you should still be able to join.

Did the above last night and got in. :)
    I'm rubbish at picking locks though, so am not sure how far I can get with them.
    Getting your hands on lockpicks for free is also a pain.
    Stole back the taxes, had to kill a guard in the process. Am still feeling guilty for that!
    Dark forces were watching, probably get a visit from the Brotherhood soon.
    Am I the only one who feels bad for doing bold things!?

Beruthiel wrote:
    Did the above last night and got in. :)
    I'm rubbish at picking locks though, so am not sure how far I can get with them.
    Getting your hands on lockpicks for free is also a pain.
    Stole back the taxes, had to kill a guard in the process. Am still feeling guilty for that!
    Dark forces were watching, probably get a visit from the Brotherhood soon.
    Am I the only one who feels bad for doing bold things!?

I think the fact you're genuinely a nice person and all that modding of PI is loading the guilt on you everytime you slaughter an innocent.
    There is an unbreakable lock pick that you receive for doing one of the shrine missions, let me know if you want its location and i'll tell ya. Join the dark brotherhood asap, they give you cool armour which is handy for thieves guild missions

The thieves guild and dark brotherhood are some laugh. Very fun in a sinister way.

Vegeta wrote:
    I think the fact you're genuinely a nice person

We've never met then? :D

There is an unbreakable lock pick that you receive for doing one of the shrine missions, let me know if you want its location and i'll tell ya.

Yup
    Give me the location!!

Here ya go. No never met ya in person but to mod PI you must have the patience of a saint

EDIT: this is not my work but Written by: WhoGuru

===============================================================================
    7: Shrine of Nocturnal YOU MUST BE ATLEAST LEVEL 10 FOR THIS QUEST

LOCATION: Start in Leyawiin. Leave by the North East gate and follow the
    road north. You'll pass the Ayleid citadel of Veyond, Blanken March and find
    a dirt path on your right leading to the Shrine.

OFFERING: None

TIME: Any

REWARD: Skeleton Key - Unlimited Uses, Fortify Security 40 pts.

QUEST: The Daedra's "Eye of Nocturnal" has been stolen, She believes by two
    Argonian thieves hiding out in Leyawiin. She asks you to find them, retrieve
    her eye and return it. Quick travel back to Leyawiin's North East gate and
    talk to the guard just inside. He'll point you to Weebam-Na and Bejeen. They
    were recently boasting about a valuable jewel they had found. Check your map
    and you'll find a map marker for Weebam-Na's house.

Weebam-Na and Bejeen both play dumb when you ask them. Go back around the
    corner by the door and listen in on their conversation. They've stashed the
    jewel in Tidewater cave. Your journal will update at this point and give you
    a map marker. They also comment on the place being overrun with Trolls.

Make your way to the cave. As you may have guessed from the name, this one
    requires a little swim. When you enter, there should be a couple bears waiting
    for you just inside. The path to your left is the one you want. It curves
    around and you'll have to take a quick dive in the dead end to reach the jewel.
    No worries.

Now, if you're up for some useful treasure, assuming it wasn't random, head
    back to where you came in and take the paths that curve around to the right.
    There's an underwater tunnel leading to a small chamber, don't worry, there is
    air here, also a couple slaughterfish. There's a chest floating at the top.
    Inside, you'll find a "Greater Soul Trap Ring" - Soul Trap 30 seconds and a
    "Ring of Wizardry" - fortifies all your magical skills by 10 points, constant
    effect.

As for Trolls, I only found three, and a bunch of bears and mountain lions.

Return to the Shrine and claim your reward. The Skeleton Key makes this quest
    worth a little swimming, for all those aspiring thieves out there.

Beruthiel wrote:
    Give me the location!!
    Its the shrine of Nocturnal quest. You can see it on the map here, north of Leyawin, on the opposite side of the river.

Whomever did that map had way too much free time on their hands.

Thanks lads
    Another night wasted tonight :D

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭cerbeus

Another way to make money and increase skills is to wander the roads between the towns/villages and fight the monsters and bandits along the way.

Loot the bodies when you win and then sell the loot for cash. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Join the Dark Brotherhood! Best and most involving stories in the game. Although I played as a ninja assassin so it was exactly what I was looking for...

• Advertisement

I joined them last night. :D
    Have already commited murder for them.
    I feel a thread in PI might be on the cards....

Also got the lockpick

Beruthiel wrote:
    I joined them last night. :D
    Have already commited murder for them.
    I feel a thread in PI might be on the cards....

Also got the lockpick

deadly, great game in fairness, and there are some mods on the PC for this that make it even better

Well I'm in trouble now.
    Killed your man in the prison, had to kill all the guards on the way in.
    Now every town I go to I immediately get arrested. I only know the chap from the thieves guild in Bruma, can't get near him to help with paying the bounty and I cannot afford to pay it all off myself as I loose points.
    Armande has gone into hiding because I stole the bust, can't seem to convince Lex that another thief stole it.
    Did I go wrong somewhere? Can I get out of this?
    Had to quit in annoyance last night!

Am, hmmmmm. This never happened to me as usually if something that bad happens i'd reload and try again. I save very regularly to help with this.

If you just go to prison and serve your time will you still be able to complete the mission? You will lose all your stolen gear but you can rob that back from the evidence chest.

If you have a save game from before this event then i would try that. Otherwise you could become a convict.

In the thieves guild missions I would try more stealth less slaughter.

Vegeta wrote:
    Am, hmmmmm. This never happened to me as usually if something that bad happens i'd reload and try again. I save very regularly to help with this.

I have done this before, but it's annoying to have to go back and complete two murders again - took a few hours ya know!
    If you just go to prison and serve your time will you still be able to complete the mission? You will lose all your stolen gear but you can rob that back from the evidence chest.

Really? Didn't know about this chest.
    Loosing the dosh is not the problem, don't have it though (over five grand) loosing points off something like five different parts of me I do not like though!
    Otherwise you could become a convict.

:(
    In the thieves guild missions I would try more stealth less slaughter.

I haven't been caught on thieves guild missions yet.
    The dark brotherhood on the other hand, I've had to kill many guards to get into the prison. There is no other way to do that. Even on stealth and with my cameleon robe :(
    You have to kill them anyway inorder to get a key

Beruthiel wrote:
    I have done this before, but it's annoying to have to go back and complete two murders again - took a few hours ya know!

Oh I agree, I only use it in a situation where i have no other choice

Really? Didn't know about this chest.
    Loosing the dosh is not the problem, don't have it though (over five grand) loosing points off something like five different parts of me I do not like though!

Am some skills might decrease but IF you decide prison is the only solution then save before hand and keep reloading if you lose skills that you value. Its never 5 skills maybe 2, at max 3.

I haven't been caught on thieves guild missions yet.
    The dark brotherhood on the other hand, I've had to kill many guards to get into the prison. There is no other way to do that. Even on stealth and with my cameleon robe :(
    You have to kill them anyway inorder to get a key

I beg your pardon I got the my guilds completely mixed up. These were the first 2 sets of missions i finished (thieves/dark brotherhood) so the details are very hazy in my mind.

i'll look into it and get back to you soon

Is this the mission Scheduled For Execution, where you have to kill the guy in the prison cell. If so the mission is possible without killing the guards in the sewers on the way in. I would advise some sneak training and a good detect life spell or item with constant effect of detect life as this way you can track their movements in the sewers and get around them.

Vegeta wrote:
    Is this the mission Scheduled For Execution, where you have to kill the guy in the prison cell. If so the mission is possible without killing the guards in the sewers on the way in. I would advise some sneak training and a good detect life spell or item with constant effect of detect life as this way you can track their movements in the sewers and get around them.
    Thats exactly how I did it, no killing involved. There are plenty of shadows around to hide in, you just have to time it right. AFAIR you can just pickpocket the guard for the key.

[edit] In fact, isn't their a bonus for not killing any guards?

That's the mission. I'm obviously just crap at sneaking around then :(

• Advertisement

I just remembered another way of getting more money if you have started the mages guild quest
    If you have access to the university, go in and create a spell that increases your mercantile by 100 for 1 second, it will cost you very little mana, and you can cast it no matter how bad your spellcasting actually is.

When you want to buy/sell stuff, cast it and then immediately talk to the merchant. Since the game automatically pauses while you are buying/selling, you will have max mercantile the whole time, without having to bother train it.

Since your mercantile will be at max, all of the shopkeepers will also have 500 extra for buying, plus you can increase by another 500 by investing in the shop.

Advertisement