Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nokia 6233 - Gmail Client

• 10-01-2007 3:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭

Hey peeps,

I just got the Nokia 6233, and so far I'm real happy with it. Camera is nice, the operating system is also new and improved, I'm liking it a lot.

Only have one problem I hope someone in here might be able to help me with. I can't get the Gmail App working correctly.

- I have downloaded the GPRS settings from 02, and they are activated
    - I downloaded the program no problems
    - I open it no problems, and allow it network useage

Then I get the error:
    This program requires a data connection. Please contact your carrier, or visit the Gmail Mobile FAQ on your computer for more info.

Following this advise I went to the following page:
    http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=52876&query=This+program+requires+a+working+data+connection&topic=&type=f&ctx=search
    And ran through the steps in there, but still I get the same problem.

I rang up customer care at 02 and they said that the product was not fully supported in Ireland.

I have a friend who has the N73 and it works perfectly for him (straight out of the box and all!).

Would anyone have any idea on why this isn't working for me? Or a work around to fix the problem. I have a feeling that it might just be a setting somewhere that I have to tweak.

Thanks in advance
    Peeko

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Have you set your Gmail account (by logging in on a computer) to English (US) in the "Settings" area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭peeko

yeah buffy, sure have, did some searching on boards :rolleyes: and found that information, made sure my gmail settings were correct and still no joy.

Scouring the net also, it's strange, some peeps have it working, some don't!

It's starting to get a wee bit fustrating!

I just downloaded and tried google maps and I still have the same problem

I've read in a few places that I need to contact my carrier and get them to allow full internet access, do you think that could be the problem.

I did ask them when I rang, but the answer I got kinda sounded a bit sketchy, she did say I had full access though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭dohouch

A lot of the time CS won't know what your talking about looking for for full internet acess, especially seems to be a problem with Meteor CS.

Opera created a small app to test connectivity for puposes of running operamini, so download and save over your wap browser and then run and it will tell you if you have connectivity
    We have created a test application which you can test your connectivity with. This is a very small program. Point your WAP browser to this adress to download it: http://mini.opera.com/mnt/

🧐IMHO, God wants us all to ENJOY many,many ice-creams , 🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Also check that there isn't a seperate section in the connectivity menu to select a connection for applications.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the replies!

dohouch, I tried the app, I get an error!

Error: IOException
    Exception: Class: java.io.ioexception

Does this indicate the lack of full internet access?

again, thanks for your help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

You just need to set up the internet access connection on your phone. It wont connect through the GPRS/WAP setting.

See the sticky at the top of the page here on Mobiles/PDA's for operator settings http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1113509&postcount=2 (you need the postpay or prepay ISP ones)

or send the settings from Nokia website here http://europe.nokia.com/A4144889

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

Anyone on Vodafone able to connect from within the gmail mobile app? I've set it up no problem on other networks but never been able to connect on vodafone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭dohouch

peeko wrote:
    Thanks for all the replies!

dohouch, I tried the app, I get an error!

Error: IOException
    Exception: Class: java.io.ioexception

Does this indicate the lack of full internet access?
    I,m only a fumbler, but I would think that you don't have a working ISP connection.
    Either your phone settings are wrong or not activated, or even if they were,your network may not have enabled ISP for you.
    If it's your first time entering these settings it can be a bit of a maze.
    The Nokia site don't have the ISP settings for Meteor, but it's the easiest way if they have them for your network.

🧐IMHO, God wants us all to ENJOY many,many ice-creams , 🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

LoBo wrote:
    Anyone on Vodafone able to connect from within the gmail mobile app? I've set it up no problem on other networks but never been able to connect on vodafone

yup, I'm on vodafone and using the gmail client on my 6230 no probs.

• Advertisement

OK finally after a lot of fiddling around I got it working!

Heres what I did in case anyone else encounters problems.

1) Ring up o2, tell them that you need to have full internet access, you'll have to be persistant here, they don't know what they are talking about a lot of the time. Tell them that you need to get an third party app working on your phone, try to get through to the Technical Support team

2) Set up an access point. I'm not 100% sure this is how I did it, I don't wanna delete and try again!! BUT... Go to Settings\Configuration\Personal Config Settings\Add New\Access Point

Use any Account name that you will recognise again. Go to Access point settings. Under the 'Data Bearer' settings select 'Packet Data'. Under the 'Bearer Settings' area, select 'Packet data access point', rename this from internet to pp.internet.

Now go back to the Configuration Settings again. Under prefered access point you should be able to see your new access point. Select this and now try your gmail app!

Long winded indeed, hope it helps someone out, feel free to PM me if you need.

Note of warning also. To check the mail it takes about 25k, which in terms of speak easy credit, this is 25c, expenive enough!

thanks everyone for your help, when I get this ATF app working I'll be in my element!

Advertisement