Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

03 Golf v Corolla

Options
  • 10-01-2007 4:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Am looking into either car for around the 03 mark, 1.4 engine and 5 doors. Its a given that the corolla wins on reliability. I think it also wins in terms of engine performance and the added benefit of a 1.4 diesel option but would it be as good in a crash? I am wondering is the extra bulk of the Golf, which has been mentioned on here quite a bit, due to it being a safer car?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

robo1 wrote:
    Am looking into either car for around the 03 mark, 1.4 engine and 5 doors. Its a given that the corolla wins on reliability. I think it also wins in terms of engine performance and the added benefit of a 1.4 diesel option but would it be as good in a crash? I am wondering is the extra bulk of the Golf, which has been mentioned on here quite a bit, due to it being a safer car?

Golf is very sluggish in 1.4 litre form, the interior is slightly nicer than the Corolla. Golfs tend to be underspeced and overpriced. I'm afraid the Corolla 1.4 Diesel is only available from 2004. Pre 2004 Corolla diesels are 2.0 litre.

Regarding safety, the Golf is a 1998 design whereas the Corolla is a 2002 design so I'm not sure the Golf is any safer than the Corolla despite the extra weight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

People who go on about the golf being heavy and therefore safe, there's two things to bear in mind... one is that safety isn't directly related to weight, and the second is that have they actually put a golf and then a corolla on a weigh bridge to compare, or are they just going by how stiff the door is to close (which VW owners tend to do)?
    The newer model corolla would be safer than the older model golf. Either way, they're both fairly safe, so I'd rule that out as a factor. Both have good resale, the 1.4 corolla is a better engine than the 1.4 golf. The 1.4 Diesel corolla would be more expensive to buy, but would probably be the pick of the crop there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 robo1

Just saw this on the euroncap site. The 03 Corolla gets the same safety rating (4/5) as the 98 Golf.

http://www.euroncap.com/content/safety_ratings/ratings.php?id1=2

Does anyone know what year the Corolla got side airbags?

Forgot to say on the original post that safety is high on the list of priorities along with reliability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

LIGHTNING wrote:
    I think people also forget the best way to survive a crash is to avoid it in the first place. Therefore a lighter car in general can stop quicker and is able to change its direction more easily due to fact that the car weighs less.
    Exactly! And the most important thing you can think about in car safety are the tyres. The amount of people who neglect their tyres and just buy the basic crap for the car is shocking. Good tyres are far more important than any airbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

robo1 wrote:
    Just saw this on the euroncap site. The 03 Corolla gets the same safety rating (4/5) as the 98 Golf.

http://www.euroncap.com/content/safety_ratings/ratings.php?id1=2

Does anyone know what year the Corolla got side airbags?

Forgot to say on the original post that safety is high on the list of priorities along with reliability.

Side air bags were standard on the facelifted Corolla available in mid 2004.

• Advertisement
Advertisement