Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

97-99 Honda Prelude

Options
  • 10-01-2007 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi, Thinking of buying a 2.0L Honda prelude, prob 98 or 99. Anyone have/had one of these? are they economical? reliable? etc..

Any comments much appreciated!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

The 2L prelude is a must avoid car, the 2.2L dohc vtec is roughly the same to insure, tax and just as efficient fuel wise and more importantly worlds apart performance wise. I had a 5th generation prelude typeS a few years back and it was a fantastic car to drive. Very comfortable, much better looks in real life (pics dont do it justice) and capable of embarrassing loads of so called performance cars out there. They come fully loaded too extras wise. As I said saty well clear of the f20 engined preludes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

cpoh1 wrote:
    The 2L prelude is a must avoid car, the 2.2L dohc vtec is roughly the same to insure, tax and just as efficient fuel wise and more importantly worlds apart performance wise. I had a 5th generation prelude typeS a few years back and it was a fantastic car to drive. Very comfortable, much better looks in real life (pics dont do it justice) and capable of embarrassing loads of so called performance cars out there. They come fully loaded too extras wise. As I said saty well clear of the f20 engined preludes.
    I wouldn't say to stay well clear of them. It depends on insurance quotes, but when I was in the market for buying a prelude, the 2.2vti was out of the question for me, as I couldn't get insured in one. The 2 litre isn't a bad car at all. In fact, for the money its a good car. Granted, the vti or type S are vastly superior, but that doesn't automatically mean that the 2 litre then is crap.
    The 2 litre will return around 33mpg (nothing special, as said, a light foot in the vti will do the same), its very reliable and is a nice all round car.
    Whats your budget and insurance story?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Bsnipes

Thanks Guys..

Biro my price range is about 5500 to 6000!

Im not too worried about performance, once its not a pain to drive.
    as for insurance im 26 and have a full clean license so I'm not expecting major problems.

wot about build quality? any good?

Bsnipes wrote:
    Thanks Guys..

as for insurance im 26 and have a full clean license so I'm not expecting major problems.

Build quality is up to typical Honda standards. They're well put together. I don't think you'll be in the vti league with €6k, unless you end up with a high milage one. The problem then would be that it could be a lot of hard miles on it. Type S are still quite expensive to buy, and them being Jap only means that some insurance companies load them heavily.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

There's only a couple of hundred euro difference in insurance (the prelude is one of the few hondas not loaded because of the vtec), tax and petrol costs are similar enough (slightly more in the dohc vtec) and engines mechanics are bullit proof.

My advice is to stretch an extra grand for the Sir/Vti with your age, a very clean model with all the extras like leather, climate control, cruise etc. can be got from the uk for under 7k euro all in. The 2L by comparison is a lot slower and duller to drive especially if you get the SiR jap model with an lsd (no offence to your car Biro ;) )

• Advertisement

Biro wrote:
    Build quality is up to typical Honda standards. They're well put together. I don't think you'll be in the vti league with €6k, unless you end up with a high milage one. The problem then would be that it could be a lot of hard miles on it. Type S are still quite expensive to buy, and them being Jap only means that some insurance companies load them heavily.

I rang around before xmas on them and the Type S quotes seemed to be no different to the 2.2 VTECs. Preludes are quite rare and in most respects very over looked despite their handling and cornering abilities giving them glowing reports from motoring critics.

The type S has a special diff in the front which gives excellent traction around corners , uprated engine internals for 215 bhp and well as extra trim niceties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

The majority of Preludes were driven by businessmen with some extra ching ching and you can usually find a good 2nd or 3rd hand floating about in the market. If your not interested in performance I would go for a 2L.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Bsnipes wrote:
    Thanks Guys..

Bsnipes.

I have a 94 2lr model. tis a grand car. not sure what it compares to the later model but i prefer the look of it myself. Not that there is any major difference.
    I don't do too much driving in it maybe to and from work and in around town. Living in waterford so its handy to get around. I might spend about €60 every 2 weeks on petrol. thats taken it handy. I service it every 6 months and never have any bother with it, suppose it is a Honda after all ;)

I got insured this year for €550 on it. 3rd party F&T 27 with full clean license.

I would like a 2.2 myself but im happy with the one i have. I have seen a few done up and the look well. mine is just standard tho :P

prelude.JPG

Sweet car Stokolan!! thanks for the input.

Cheers guys thanks for all the replies.....keep them comin!!!

cpoh1 wrote:
    There's only a couple of hundred euro difference in insurance (the prelude is one of the few hondas not loaded because of the vtec), tax and petrol costs are similar enough (slightly more in the dohc vtec) and engines mechanics are bullit proof.

My advice is to stretch an extra grand for the Sir/Vti with your age, a very clean model with all the extras like leather, climate control, cruise etc. can be got from the uk for under 7k euro all in. The 2L by comparison is a lot slower and duller to drive especially if you get the SiR jap model with an lsd (no offence to your car Biro ;) )
    I don't have one, was going to purchase one at one point though. My mate had one. I agree with you though, there is a big difference, but in my searching experience, it's hard to find a good vti for small money. Maybe I'm too fussy! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Thanks guys, time to do some thinkin!

I will let u all know if I buy anything

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

good car but check auto gearboxes on 2.2 as they are bit weak

Ok guys so I bought a 99 prelude last night. Its a 2L and I paid 5500 for it:D Its totally mint inside and out, and looks to have been really looked after. I'm Really pleased with it. I got a question though...There is a slot for a key on the floor beside the drivers seat, anyone know what this is for?

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

That keyhole is for locking the boot release so that the boot can't be opened from inside the car.

Advertisement