Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Network Problem

Options
  • 10-01-2007 4:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hey,

Am having a rather annoying problem with my home network atm.

Situation is, have a wired network installed in the house with approx 5 PC's on it. Also have a laptop on network via wireless.

All was working grand until the other day, for some reason I am no longer to log onto my personal PC via laptop

"you do not have permission to use this network resource..."

However, on the laptop I have the Dell Network assistant installed, when I view shared network resources on that I can view files etc on my personal PC....weird.

Anybody had an experiences similar or can offer any advice?

Cheers

Joker

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 339 ✭✭mastermind2005

try ping it first

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

TheJoker wrote:
    Hey,

Am having a rather annoying problem with my home network atm.

Situation is, have a wired network installed in the house with approx 5 PC's on it. Also have a laptop on network via wireless.

All was working grand until the other day, for some reason I am no longer to log onto my personal PC via laptop

"you do not have permission to use this network resource..."

However, on the laptop I have the Dell Network assistant installed, when I view shared network resources on that I can view files etc on my personal PC....weird.

Anybody had an experiences similar or can offer any advice?

Cheers

Joker
    Shut down firewalls on both laptop and personal pc and then try again. If you have 3rd party firewall (included with your antivirus or otherwise) make sure that windows firewall doesnt come on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭TheJoker

OK I dropped the filewalls, can now ping the PC which I couldn't do before.

However I am still not able to access it from Network Neighbourhood.

Could it be something to do with the protocols installed on the machines?

ping loop back on both machines 127.0.0.1 if this works tcp/ip is setup fine

What protocols should I have on the machines to allow them to communicate with each other and with internet properly without impeeding each other?

• Advertisement

The ping loopback worked on both machines

TheJoker wrote:
    What protocols should I have on the machines to allow them to communicate with each other and with internet properly without impeeding each other?
    I believe you just need TCP/IP on both machines.

What Operating Systems are on each of the two machines?
    What are you using for firewall & antivirus?

I am running Xp pro on the PC and home edition on laptop. At one both machines wouldn't ping the router. 192.168.1.1

When I did finally get onto the router I checked the status, this is what it showed me.

Login Type : PPPoE
    Login Status : Disconnected
    IP Address : 0.0.0.0
    Subnet Mask : 0.0.0.0
    Default Gateway : 0.0.0.0
    DNS 1 : 213.94.190.194
    DNS 2 : 213.94.190.236
    DNS 3 :
    MTU : 1492

However I am still able to submit this post. I can access other pc's on the network albeit they are slow to respond, by I can still not access my main pc.

Could this be a virus?

Oh actually, on the pc I am running sygate personal firewall pro.
    on the laptop just the windows firewall.

you should try repairing each of the connections, you can get at the repair button from the actual nic connection within network connections,

after that goto one of the machines and find out its name from system properties, then goto the other bogie machine and click start then run and type \\othercomputersnames replacing othercomputersname with the real one, btw you only need tcp/ip for the internet and normal networks which is working fine on both ur pcs,

if the above does not help try updating your routers firmware.

firewall no matter what the brand has nothing todo with your problem if you can ping each way

let me know if this helps

Are you using simple file sharing or permissions (access control lists) on the xp pro machine?

• Advertisement

firewall no matter what the brand has nothing todo with your problem if you can ping each way
    unless of course it is blocking netbios ports but making sure all firewalls are turned off can rule this out.

Advertisement