Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When will Vista be pre-installed option on new Dell laptops?

• 10-01-2007 6:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭

Hi,

a question:

Does anyone know when will Microsoft Vista be the standard or optional operating system shipped installed on Dell laptops either for consumer or business customers and when bought from dell.ie?

Microsoft Ireland have stated that Vista will be shipping in January to consumers and since Dell have had the OEM version for some time now (November?), they should be in a position to transition to the new OS as an installed option soon, I would have thought. Are we talking January or March or when? Any ideas?

Anyone with 'connections' to Dell care to comment or anyone at all, rumour or otherwise?

Thanks,

redspider

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

they won't ship it until vista is available to buy in stores.

the latest date i've heard is the 31st of january for retail stores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

It will probably be an optional selection with XP the default on most systems as the upgrade coupon offer to Vista lasts until March 17 2007 so by then I would imagine Dell may start shipping Vista as the default OS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

well, i know that OCUK are getting their OEM versions in this friday (12/01/2007)

how? well i've ordered one and that's the ETA they told me when they are getting them.

i'd imagine dell won't be too far off and definelately won't wait until the coupon deal expires as dell's target audience is this "ooh new windows vista, me need new pc, dell are the best!"

they'll would be losing a quite a few sales and the ability to over charge like they do for most parts/software in their configurations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Thanks for those answers folks.

I guess I'll just have to wait until its up on their online store. I am guessing that Dell dont want to publish a date in advance as that may stall potential buyers, etc, and there are other issues around being quick to the market, etc.

I dont want to go the 'get one with XP installed and upgrade to Vista afterwards' route, as this system is destined for a non-expert user and it will have loads of other stuff installed on it as well, etc.

> "ooh new windows vista, me need new pc, dell are the best!"

I'm not exactly in that category, more like:

"need new laptop, dell are good value and reasonably reliable, vista is nearly ready, worth waiting a few weeks, perhaps, but could be buggy or have other probs, but user will say in a few weeks, why dont we have vista on this, etc"

If anyone does hear of a date in the interim, please post it here.

Thanks once again,

redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Cremo wrote:
    well, i know that OCUK are getting their OEM versions in this friday (12/01/2007)

how? well i've ordered one and that's the ETA they told me when they are getting them.
    I knew well OCUK were talking through their arse. The ETA has changed to 30/01/2007. I wonder how many got suckered into pre-ordering?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

It looks like everything went according to plan and Vista is available on laptops orderable online at dell.ie from today, Tuesday 30th January. I checked over the weekend and last week when it was XP as standard.

Redspider

ps: once again, Thanks.

Advertisement