Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3G DataCard a viable alternative to Dial-up??

• 10-01-2007 6:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭

Hi there,
    Here's the situation we're in, and i'm certain that there are many of you in similar circumstances.

Parents want decent internet(better then crappy dial-up at the very least)
    We are forever waiting for Eircom to unbundle our exchange in the shticks of Mid-Waterford and TBH I don't see them doing it until Eircom decides to decentralise their HQ to Waterford(yeah, bit of a wait there!!) :D

I have heard of the Vodafone 3G Datacards, in particular the unlimited package for €49.99 p/month, and they seem to be worth looking into.
    Obviously i'm aware that they're designed for optimal use in the 3G built-up areas of the country. Are they any good in the middle of nowhere? When I say the middle of nowhere I mean getting maybe 3 or 4 signal bars out of 5 on a typical 087 mobile.

I'd appreciate it if anyone could post feedback on their experiences with this particular product, and what sort of speed compared to Dial-up can I expect to get.

Thanks a million
    Smartblaa

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 pj_samba

3G datacards will give you 384K speeds - once you have at least 2 bars of signal - significantly faster than Dial up.

New HSDPA cards (3/O2/VF have them) are claiming speeds of up to 3.6mbs - however coverage is likely to be patchy in the wilds of waterford.

VF provide a no quibble return if you you are not happy with the new modem device - so you could try it. Not sure about the other opco's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭smartblaa

pj_samba wrote:
    3G datacards will give you 384K speeds - once you have at least 2 bars of signal - significantly faster than Dial up.

New HSDPA cards (3/O2/VF have them) are claiming speeds of up to 3.6mbs - however coverage is likely to be patchy in the wilds of waterford.

VF provide a no quibble return if you you are not happy with the new modem device - so you could try it. Not sure about the other opco's

Ok, sounds good..and will these Datacards pick up signal as good as a typical GSM Phone would? I.e. Do you have to do alot of pointing and aiming with it??
    (** Cue visions of me standing on the couch with the laptop in me hand ** :D )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

Generally there is no pointing etc. I had the vodafone system and it was very good TBH. There are two opinions now, the data card which is PCMCIA (you know what I mean) or USB modem. The USB modem is the more versatile option as you can take it and pull it in to any computer with a USB port. I had the datacard and it came with an small (about 6 inches) external aerial that you could use in low signal strength area.

Its worth noting that allot of newer laptops do not have PCMCIA slots, they have expressCard slots which are not compatible.

I'm 20 miles from Cork city and had no problems connecting with 3G speeds.

Generally there is no pointing etc. I had the vodafone system and it was very good TBH. There are two opinions now, the data card which is PCMCIA (you know what I mean) or USB modem. The USB modem is the more versatile option as you can take it and pull it in to any computer with a USB port. I had the datacard and it came with an small (about 6 inches) external aerial that you could use in low signal strength area.

Its worth noting that allot of newer laptops do not have PCMCIA slots, they have expressCard slots which are not compatible.

I'm 20 miles from Cork city and had no problems connecting with 3G speeds.

U say USB modem? Is that something Vodafone supplies??
    Did I see a post here a few months ago regarding a wireless router that you could plug the PCMCIA card into, and then share the connection between a few computers?

Anyone with a link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Jam Man

Sat here typing on an HSDPA datacard on 3 that I bought at the weekend.

€39.99 a month unlimited (subject to fair use)

Getting consistently over 2meg speed, peaking at over 3meg

3 say that the whole of their network will be at this speed by the end of Jan so it works for me....

• Advertisement

Jam Man wrote:

3 say that the whole of their network will be at this speed by the end of Jan so it works for me....

3IRL data package isn't unlimited, their website clearly states the €39.99 tariff has a 3000meg limit. Vodafone's offering is advertised as unlimited for €49 but it has a fair usage policy that has been the subject of many a debate. There has been comment that it is set at 5GB but vodafone deny this.

They do not have details of their USB modem on their website but it is available in vodafone stores. It only came on-stream late last year. Here is some info

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/accessories/0,39100115,49286046,00.htm

Another thing to note is that Vodafone only charge about €15 per month if you wish to cancel your contract early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

hi lads,

how would i go about getting one of these cards for my laptop? im sick to death of sh*%$ dial up from eircom.
    is the download limit unrestricted???

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Jam Man

3IRL data package isn't unlimited, their website clearly states the €39.99 tariff has a 3000meg limit.

Jam Man wrote:
    €39.99 a month unlimited (subject to fair use).

so 3000meg would be the fair use then ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭wirelessdude

Jam Man wrote:

3unlimited data has a cap of 3GB.....voda at present is 5GB....just for info i work for voda

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭mobby

smartblaa wrote:
    U say USB modem? Is that something Vodafone supplies??
    Did I see a post here a few months ago regarding a wireless router that you could plug the PCMCIA card into, and then share the connection between a few computers?

Anyone with a link?
    Try here
    http://www.business.vodafone.com/site/bus/public/enuk/products/connectivity/30_modem/10_overview/p_overview.jsp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

3IRL data package isn't unlimited, their website clearly states the €39.99 tariff has a 3000meg limit. Vodafone's offering is advertised as unlimited for €49 but it has a fair usage policy that has been the subject of many a debate. There has been comment that it is set at 5GB but vodafone deny this.
    its changed now. its €39 for 5 gig, with 5 gig clearly stated

apparently. can't seem to find it now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭wirelessdude

the 39euro isn't confirmed yet..once i have some info i will post it up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

The web site still clearly states that it is 3000 MB for €39.99. Have they not updated their web site yet? I'm looking at http://www.three.ie/ihandsets/datacards.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

The web site still clearly states that it is 3000 MB for €39.99. Have they not updated their web site yet? I'm looking at http://www.three.ie/ihandsets/datacards.html
    i was talking about voda

the 39euro isn't confirmed yet..once i have some info i will post it up

Don't you think that if they clearly state it as a 5GB for 39.99 they(Vodafone) will impose extra charges for exceeding quota??

i was talking about voda

Ah. I was confused because you had replied to a post about 3, so it seemed to me like you were talking about 3's offer. Anyway: so Vodafone reduced the price from €49 to €39.99?

Their web site still seems to say it's €49 a month.

vodafone have announced a new tariff. details here.

http://www.vodafone.ie/generic/3gbroadband.jsp?bannerdesc=home_image_P_3g_broadband_100107

from what i can gather you can pay €39.99 and get 5gb allowance. €129 for usb modem seems harsh though.

3IRL: €39 and 3GB cap

Vodafone: €39.99 and 5GB cap.

now if that isn't the best spent 99c I don't know what is.... even the eurosaver menu in mcdonalds doesn't come close to better value :D

also there is no mention of a ban on VOIP in the t&c like there is with the unlimited tariff.

Anyone notice though that vodafone advertise their speed at 1.4mbs and 3IRL at 3.7mbs.... anyone care to comment??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

vodafone have announced a new tariff. details here.

http://www.vodafone.ie/generic/3gbroadband.jsp?bannerdesc=home_image_P_3g_broadband_100107

from what i can gather you can pay €39.99 and get 5gb allowance. €129 for usb modem seems harsh though.

3IRL: €39 and 3GB cap

Vodafone: €39.99 and 5GB cap.

now if that isn't the best spent 99c I don't know what is.... even the eurosaver menu in mcdonalds doesn't come close to better value :D

also there is no mention of a ban on VOIP in the t&c like there is with the unlimited tariff.

Anyone notice though that vodafone advertise their speed at 1.4mbs and 3IRL at 3.7mbs.... anyone care to comment??

I have used both and the 3 card leaves the Voda offering for dust. The speed in the Dublin area is terrific. In addition the Voda cap is confined to use in Ireland only but the whole 3 gigs from 3 can be enjoyed on any of their networks world wide. In addition, you could take the SIM out while roaming, put it in a handset and receive calls for free.

Just such a pity it's not a USB offering....(and Mac-friendly)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Dellas

I live in the countryside but I can get 4 bars of 3G on the 3 network. Only problem is I have to be by the living room window or I get max bars outside. Is there anything I could do to make the card wireless so I can pick up the signal outside and use my laptop inside or even inside on the bay window like a normal broadband wireless network??? The 3 service seems great for me as im on dial up at the moment and Im paying 29.99 anyway for 28kbps!!!

Have a look at expansys.ie: there's a 3G router from Lynksys and some other one whose name I've forgoteen....

• Advertisement

This is it: considerably more expensive:
    http://www.expansys.ie/p.aspx?i=133366

The Linksys 3G router can be had for under €200 including delivery at Elara.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭Elessar

Whoa hold on. Let me get this straight, Vodafone and 3 are now offering broadband for computers?? Why didn't I hear of this...

Speeds, when they say up to 1.4mb/s and 3.7mb/s is that connection speed or actual download speed?

And I could literally bring my internet with me everywhere!?

The speeds quoted are the maximum peak speeds.

You can bring it anywhere with you in Ireland. If you take it to the US, for example, it won't work. Not all areas have 3G coverage yet, so you might drop back down to dialup speeds depending on where you are (both 3 and Voda have about 85% 3G coverage at this stage).

Ok so if you drop out of 3G and are on 2.5 what speeds would you get??? More than 54kbps for example???

Elessar wrote:
    Whoa hold on. Let me get this straight, Vodafone and 3 are now offering broadband for computers?? Why didn't I hear of this...

Speeds, when they say up to 1.4mb/s and 3.7mb/s is that connection speed or actual download speed?

And I could literally bring my internet with me everywhere!?

Not only that, if you get the three version you can bring the net with you to the UK, Italy, Hong Kong, Australia, Sweden, Denmark......

Dellas wrote:
    Ok so if you drop out of 3G and are on 2.5 what speeds would you get??? More than 54kbps for example???

278kbps when Three drops to Voda (national roaming)....

Thats great compared to what Im on now !!! Think Im gonna order tomorrow , it will solve my problem overnight and i sick of waiting for Eircom. Thanks for the info guys . Just checked the signal by the window and i got max 3G bars on 3 !!! So im hoping for some cool speeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 noelbadrian

I live 4 miles from Tullamore in broadband limbo. According to the coverage maps Vodaphone does not cover this area but I just might have a chance with Three if their crude map can be believed. Problem is I only have a PC and Three's DataCard is only for laptops ... anyone know of a solution like a PC adaptor for the laptop cards?
    Noel

• Advertisement

3 supposedly will have a USB-based solution in April. By the way, even if you did had a laptop, the PC card wouldn't do you any good, at least not if it's a new laptop.

As far as actually determining if you have 3G coverage or not, forget the maps, do a network scan with a 3G phone, or even better have someone with a Vodafone or 3 3G phone see what the signal strength is like.

Advertisement