Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog chewed wires off boiler thermostat

Options
  • 10-01-2007 7:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I have oil fired central heating and it isn't working as the dog has chewed and pulled the mains wires from the thermostat. Problem is I don't know how the wires go back in. The wires remaining are mains live, neutral and earth and the neutral to boiler. There are two boxes within the thermostat the left one has a knob for adjusting from 50-90 and the right has a small screw for adjusting from 90-110. Here is a diagram

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx2xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx|xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx2xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx|xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxlink to left cxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxx1xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxcxxxxxxx|xxxx1xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxc
    to burner livexxxxxxxxlink to right 2xx|xnothingxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxnothing
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx|xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxEarthxxxxxxxxxxxxxx|xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxEarthxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxto burner Earthxxxxxxxx|xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxnothingxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

Hey come on MN !

Is this some kind of laugh or what ? A bitch of a problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

mnickels wrote:
    I have oil fired central heating and it isn't working as the dog has chewed and pulled the mains wires from the thermostat. Problem is I don't know how the wires go back in. The wires remaining are mains live, neutral and earth and the neutral to boiler. There are two boxes within the thermostat the left one has a knob for adjusting from 50-90 and the right has a small screw for adjusting from 90-110. Here is a diagram

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx2xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx|xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx2xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx|xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxlink to left cxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxx1xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxcxxxxxxx|xxxx1xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxc
    to burner livexxxxxxxxlink to right 2xx|xnothingxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxnothing
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx|xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxEarthxxxxxxxxxxxxxx|xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxEarthxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxto burner Earthxxxxxxxx|xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxnothingxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Any ideas?

I'm afraid your diagram doesn't make much sense to me probably my fault. The thermostat should normally just break the live feed to the burner. The Neutrals and earths being just connected through to the burner. Maybe if you tried posting a few good pics, people might have a better possibility of helping.

Oh and one other word of advice... find alternate accommodation for your dog.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

mnickels wrote:
    Any ideas?
    Looks like a Danfoss dual stat. The 2 earths are connected to each other. I think that they also go into a screw marked with the earth sign. The 2 neutrals are connected together (or sometimes not even broken). The live comes in one side and connects to one side of one of the stats. There is a link (which should not have been pulled out by the dog) to the other stat. And the other brown wire from the burner goes to the outside connection on the 2nd stat.
    Just think of the live coming in on the right side of the right stat - coming out the left side of the right stat crossing over to the right side of the left stat and leaving the left side of the left stat and heading down to the burner.
    Jim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭OliviaM

Why not just find someone who could fix it? Will save you from harm.

OliviaM wrote:
    Why not just find someone who could fix it? Will save you from harm.
    Always my first advice - but it is the DIY Forum :D
    Jim.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Elfish

JamesM wrote:
    Looks like a Danfoss dual stat. The 2 earths are connected to each other. I think that they also go into a screw marked with the earth sign. The 2 neutrals are connected together (or sometimes not even broken). The live comes in one side and connects to one side of one of the stats. There is a link (which should not have been pulled out by the dog) to the other stat. And the other brown wire from the burner goes to the outside connection on the 2nd stat.
    Just think of the live coming in on the right side of the right stat - coming out the left side of the right stat crossing over to the right side of the left stat and leaving the left side of the left stat and heading down to the burner.
    Jim.

The diagram was good enough for the right person it seems ;)
    Couldn't even picture the thing from the diagram, but James's post was a picture in words :)

Elfish wrote:
    The diagram was good enough for the right person it seems ;)
    Couldn't even picture the thing from the diagram, but James's post was a picture in words :)
    I could'nt figure out the diagram :confused: But I know the type of dual stat he was talking about :D
    The main stat regulates the temp. The other with the screw sets the cutout temp. The live just goes in one side, links to the other stat and out to the burner.
    Jim.

Advertisement