Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Power cut

• 10-01-2007 8:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭

Anybody else experiencing loss of power? Just went out in kells and came back on a minute later. Duleek is completely out and no sign of it coming abck on after ten minutes.

I know someone driving to there from portadown and could see a power station lighting up in the distance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

andrewie wrote:
    Anybody else experiencing loss of power? Just went out in kells and came back on a minute later. Duleek is completely out and no sign of it coming abck on after ten minutes.

I know someone driving to there from portadown and could see a power station lighting up in the distance.

well mate answer me this....

if you have no power how did you post that:p

ps don't answer i'm just kidding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭positron

No power in Wheaton Hall either - and I would imagine (not sure) rest of Drogheda too?

PS: Confirmed. All of Drogheda is out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Dundalk Daily

Lights flickering alot in Dundalk. An word on what it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

Girlfriend rang the esb and said they are experience some problems (stating the obvious) and din't know when power will be restored. Everywhere within a ten mile radius from Duleek is out they said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Felt it here in Dublin City Centre. Lights dipped a bit for a second.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭cf_al_bs

Dunleer area went out for about 10-20mins but is back on now. I think only part of Drogheda is back and Julianstown area is still out.
    Was told that there was a huge flash that lit up Drogheda and could be seen even out here in Dunleer! Must have been big! :eek: Hope no one was hurt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

cf_al_bs wrote:
    Dunleer area went out for about 10-20mins but is back on now. I think only part of Drogheda is back and Julianstown area is still out.
    Was told that there was a huge flash that lit up Drogheda and could be seen even out here in Dunleer! Must have been big! :eek: Hope no one was hurt.

Could be seen from just outside Portadown also.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭cf_al_bs

According to the ESB, power will be back around 9 in Drogheda, just to let you know. Not that anyone in Drogheda can read this at the minute...

edit: just after getting a text from a friend, apparently it was caused by a fire at a sub power station in Drogheda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

A fire in one of their power stations apparently. Just back here in Duleek.

And yes everybody should be back by nine o'clock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭positron

Looks like its already back - in Drogheda

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

My sister was having a smoke outside and she saw a green flash and heard a loud bang at about 6.50 in the direction of the substation at Waterunder. I heard from people that the fire brigade were at the substation (it's just to the north of the boyne cable bridge).

We were out from then until about 7.45pm. I wouldn't be suprised if the story was mentioned on the 9pm news, considering both Drogheda and Dundalk were affected.

Amazing sight at the top of the hill. Only the Lourdes Hospital and a couple of other scattered places had light. Then darkness up to Balbriggan/Skerries and westwards as far as Slane or a bit beyond.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭Moanin

Went out here in Navan for about 10 seconds and back on again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

yeh was i was outside smyths in drogheda myself, just got out of the car and next thing heard a big bang and all the lights went off! then seen the fire brigade go by and then i went by the sub station myself could see the fire brigade there but there was no visible fire and the fire brigade would have been there less than 2 minutes before me.

Does anyone know what caused it? Was it a transformer exploding at Waterunder which caused such a widespread blackout? Lights flickered even in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

I belive it was caused by a fire in the substation in Drybridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭~Leanne~

Just had a flicker in Navan, no black out, on Slane rd anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

Was out in Stamullen / Gormanston and right the way to the beginning of Balbriggan.

I was told yesterday that there is/was a small generator in the transmission station at Waterunder/Drybridge. The generator was being run, presumably to compensate for a supply deficit in the national grid, and it exploded. Not fully sure of the truth of it as I haven't heard of a generator in the substation before, but anyway something exploded in that substation and the ESB are to be held responsible for the exploding transformer/generator.

The pharmaceutical companies tend to setup in Cork as the national grid is apparently more reliable in the south of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭cambridge7

Parts of Ardee were out too for 20mins.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Well it looks like an old moggy made an attempt for ten lives and failed miserably, taking half of Louth with it. That's if you belive de Leader.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Dingatron wrote:
    Well it looks like an old moggy made an attempt for ten lives and failed miserably, taking half of Louth with it. That's if you belive de Leader.
    Could they have had any more puns in that article :rolleyes:

Advertisement