Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Points Question?

Options
  • 10-01-2007 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭

Ok my younger brother is filling out his CAO form and he is looking at points from last year. He would like to know what the difference between points and "Median" points mean??

Lets say there is a course ok and its states the following:

Median ; 295

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Points are teh least amount of points that were necessary for the course. When deciding who to offer a place to, the person who applied who got the highest points is chosen first, then the next highest and so on, until the last space is filled. This number is thus the amount of points that the last person (or number of people) who was selected had.

Median (I think) is then half way between that person's points, and the points of the first person chosen, ie half way betwwen the lowest and highest points.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Cheers thanks for clearing that up mate.

Thanks again

Will

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 PrincessFiona

i.e. Median= Average

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Median is a slightly different 'average' to the mean; it's the point where there are as many people who got lower points than you than higher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭poobum

median is if you wrote all the numbers down of those who got the points, in ascending order and took the figure exactly in the middle, say for example of the numbers 3, 29, 15, 17, 2,
    write in ascending order- 2, 3, 15, 17, 29, the middle term(median) is 15 where as the average(mean) would be 13.2
    that make sense?

• Advertisement
Advertisement