Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car on British Plates

Options
  • 10-01-2007 8:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Hi all,

I have a car that I brought over with me from the UK 5 years ago.

The car is in great condition, always looked after and runs great.
    I havent driven it on the road since bringing it here as the VRT was too dear to change.

Even now the VRT is dear but I noticed the other day a northern Irish car on British plates. However This was Irish Taxed and NCT with the Britidh registration.

So is it possible to Tax and NCT a British car ?

Many Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Beady

Not 100% on this but I think if you were resident in the UK and owned the car for 6 months before moving back you are VRT exempt. Once the car is registered here you can't sell it for a year or you are liable for VRT. I'm sure a look around revenue.ie will tell you for sure. WRT taxing and NCT'ing on british plates, never heard of it being done. Can only imagine there is some delay in the DVLA getting the car de-registered and maybe he was granted leave so tax and nct could be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Beady wrote:
    WRT taxing and NCT'ing on british plates, never heard of it being done. Can only imagine there is some delay in the DVLA getting the car de-registered and maybe he was granted leave so tax and nct could be done.
    There was a thread here recently about people in Donegal VRT'ing and taxing imported cars but (illegally) leaving the 'yellow' plates on, presumably to avoid speeding fines etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 irishlordknight

I went to change the plates when I moved over. And yes your right it was Free.

However the Revenue wanted!

Travel Tickets
    Bank Statements
    Log Book
    Receipt of purchase
    Day to day proof of living, I.e Utility bills Telephone and ELectric!

Now I had travel tickets and Log book but this wasnt enough. All my Bank Statements had been burnt back in the UK along with My utilitys as I had no need for them in Ireland.

However Revenue said tuff and wanted to charge me VRT!

Despite me owning the Car for 4 years!

So Since the car has been parked up.

Advertisement