Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Testament anyone?

• 10-01-2007 8:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

So, Testament are a band I've been meaning to get into for a long time, dunno why I sorta missed them, I guess it's because I never found their CDs here in Galway, untill recently.

Picked up The Ritual before Christmas, and the other day I scored The New Order and The Legacy in a local second hand shop. Oh yes, and I would've had even more Testament CDs if someone else didn't have them on hold.

I've been listening to The Legacy now on repeat for the past few hours. What an album. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Angus MacGyver

Good band, Ive only got The New Order. I remember being shocked when I heard "into the pit", I never knew it was them. Whoever wrote the theme tune for the crystal maze ripped off the first tune on the album Eerie inhabitants. Check it out, very funny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Absolutely love Testament - definitely one of my top 10 favourites..
    Finally got to see them live at Graspop in 2000 & at Wacken 2003 (if my memory serves me correctly)! And they are amazing. Just a pity they keep cancelling gigs recently!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭neGev

One of the best thrash acts of all time.

Too tired to write more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

great band always loved these guys get practice what you preach aswell man savage album,Alex skolnick is an amazing player was great to finally see him when e played with them on the reunion tour.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭Alucard II

So, Testament are a band I've been meaning to get into for a long time, dunno why I sorta missed them, I guess it's because I never found their CDs here in Galway, untill recently.
    you're a culchie?! ah jaysas man....
    :p

hehe, yes, awesome band. first song i heard was Falling Fast, and i soon got into more, like Over the Wall \m/
    i have most of their albums, kickass band :D
    neGev wrote:
    Too tired to write more
    /same
    Psycroptic & Visceral Bleeding = WIN :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

I've got 4 of their albums on tape sitting in my parent's attic with the rest of my old cassettes, must root them out someday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭neGev

Alucard II wrote:
    like Over the Wall \m/
    This song wins.
    Alucard II wrote:
    Psycroptic & Visceral Bleeding = WIN :D
    Hell yes!

I was just looking at Testament's lineup over the years, and roger me sideways if they didn't have some killer musicians.

Alex Skolnick
    James Murphy
    Steve DiGiorgio
    Dave Lombardo
    Gene Hoglan
    Paul Bostaph

And that's just cherry-picking some of them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Alucard II wrote:
    you're a culchie?! ah jaysas man....
    :p

Eh, no... I'm from the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Yeah a great band for the first 3 albums but kind of lost interest after that. Definitely preferred them to the lokes of Exodus, Anthrax and Megadeth.
    Overkill were decent too at that time.
    Thought from "Souls of Black " onwards they lost something IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

I love Testament so much ha. My favourite thrash band without a doubt <3
    Live at Fillmore, what an album.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

Souls of Black was my fav, thats when I started listening to them.
    I recently got Days of Darkness a best of with some old stuff and stuff after Low that I didn't purchase.
    I was always raging I never saw them live, hopefully Dave Mustaine will get them over on his gigantour thingy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Didn't they become more death metal on The Gathering?
    What were the results ?
    What do the sound like nowadays?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 PlatonicDisease

Some of you guys might have heard or read how Testament were on the 'verge' of breaking through into the Big Four of Thrash and joining Slayer, Anthrax, Megadeth and Metallica and making it the Big Five. I rate Testament very highly and regarded them as much more exciting and impressive than Metallica and on level terms or better than Anthrax and Megadeth on occasions. Chuck Billy has always been one among my Top Ten all-time most-admired vocalists in Metal. Alex Skolnick and Eric Peterson one of my favourite guitar-duos of all time.

I consider Testament's first four albums: The Legacy ('87), The New Order ('88), Practice What You Preach ('89) and Souls of Black ('90) to be a magnificent quartet of top-flight thrash as good as the best on offer at the time. The Nineties was hardly thrash metal's heydays, and Testament like many seemed to flounder initially. The Ritual ('92) was a critical and commercial debacle and I personally didn't like that lousy, overly experimental, alt-rockish Metallica-esque route that Testament took with that album. Then the band rebounded and I loved the deliciously death-metallic 'Low' ('94) and 'Demonic' ('97) and the fantastic 'The Gathering' ('99). They were of course terrific live performers and I just think Testament was one among very many of the most unlucky, under-rated thrash bands around, but remains in my eyes one of the top dogs of premium thrash metal, no question. I'd highly recommend any enthusiastic new fan of quality thrash metal to not miss out on this band. They were a bunch of amazingly gifted, 'progressive' in the best sense of the word in Metal music, virtuoso players that gave us at least six memorable albums to revel in.

Advertisement