Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos DVD players

Options
  • 10-01-2007 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

Hi there,
    Well here's the story.
    Both myself and my father bought DVD players from argos over Christmas 3 in total (i bought one and he got two) they are the cheap i think eur 27.99 ones, very compact.
    Now the one i bought is fine and so far i've had no problem with it.
    But the two my father bought have live cases and he got a hell of a shock from one of them. It seems that the screw on the right of the dvd player is causing the damage, because once loosened the case is no longer live.
    All the screws in these dvd players were live we tested this just by putting a pace tester to the case and then the screws.
    Now he went back to Argos with his and the attendant just said well we can just give you another one in place of it (very helpfull) she said that no one else had complained so it must not be a problem. Ya sure!
    So he got a replacement and the cute f*cker brought his face tester with him and when the new one came out he unpacked it in the shop and pluged it to the nearest socket.
    And sure enough this one was live to.
    So he brought straight over to the attendant and got his money back.But the attendant didn't seem to bothered with this never ask his details or wrote on the box that it was defective.
    So anyway just wanted to let all you's out there, if you bought a dvd player from argos for you own safety check it with a fce tester to see if it's live because these could seriously cause a fire.
    Thanks for listening to my rant.
    OCJ

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Argos would send out a notice to all stores if there was a widespread problem. It sucks you were rudely treated - believe me, if you were in my Argos store you would've been taken extremely seriously. However, if the guy in the shop had to send back 2 dvd players with the same problem, the stock manager might see fit to have them all QC Inspected.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

DO you know what model of DVD player or catalogue number it was? I might take the multimeter and phase tester to ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭ocj

Thanks Nightwish,
    Hopefully they'll Q C inspect these just to be sure.

Red Alert
    I'm not certain of the cat number off hand, but i'll find it and post it up later.

Red Alert

Here's the details:

It was priced at Eur 27.99

Cat number 533/5392

and it was on on page 766.
    It might be worth checking yours just to be sure.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

It might be worth addressing a letter to Argos, make them aware of this potentially very dangerous issue with this product http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ArgosStaticPageSecondLevel?langId=-1&storeId=30001&includeName=ContactUs.jsp#contact

• Advertisement

Well I sent an e-mail to argos just to make them aware of the problem.
    And I have had no reply at all from them.
    That was a week ago.

So it doesn't look like they are too worried about it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

thanks a lot, i'll check ours out tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I bought a portable dvd player from Argos, it packed in after a week. Did I keep the receipt...NNOOOOO!!!:o So a cunning plan ensued... Not near an Argos here in Sligo (thats a whole other thread!), so I had originally got someone to get me one from Enniskillen. Rang Enniskillen, they said not a hope of changing it without receipt. Sooooo, posted dvd player to mother in UK. She bought a new DVD player, took it home, replaced it with broken one, and trotted off the Argos with her receipt and got a refund. So, morally nothing wrong, Argos had their original money and I had a new DVD player right? New DVD packed in after a week. Aaarrrggghhhh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

guys, if you check the chassis of alot of equipment it will be 'live' it depends what sort of power supply is being used(normally switch mode power supplies which use a positive ground). also an aerial socket will be sitting at mains voltage. BUT you should never get a shock as these are supposed to be isolated voltages, and just incase people are spurred to wave their phase testers around, the eht transformer in the back of a crt will light up a phase tester too from a couple of inches away.

Advertisement