Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help with my custom PC

Options
  • 10-01-2007 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

I have just finished my first custom built pc, in which i used the following components...

Asus Crosshair motherboard
    Amd Athlon 64x2 5200+
    EVGA Ge-Force 7950 GX2 superclocked
    Geil 1GB Pc6400 800mhz
    Tagan 480w psu
    All contained in a Thermaltake Armor va8000bws.

I need as much good advice fine tuning the system as I can get plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I ran the 3d mark software and got the following results

8244 3d marks
    sm2.0 3782
    hdr/sm3.0 3759
    cpu score 1928

Running Company of heroes, general game play is good but has really long loading times.

What can i do to make sure I'm getting the best from what I think is a fairly good system.

:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

THe load times would have alot to do with your hard dirve, But to be honest your only talking the difference of a few seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭eire_dd

What should I expect from this system (ie performance)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

eire_dd wrote:
    What should I expect from this system (ie performance)

In what aspect ?

How long it will take to load? Like said above, it depends completly on your hard drive. If you have a raptor expect it to be pretty short. If you have used a old 160gb from your old pc. Expect it to take a long time.

Also keep your hdd in good health. like defragging it quite often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Company of heroes is known to have long load times it is not something unique to you or a problem with your build.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TonyM.

Great to see somebody going the AMD route for a change.

• Advertisement

Thanks, will try the hard drive route, i did use the one from old Dell (160gb sata)

Any reccomendations???????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Well if you want a new HD then a Western Digital SE16 are currently one of the fastest on the block excluding the Raptor.

The "old" HD from Dell though should still be pretty fine for normal usage so don't expect a huge jump in performance.

If you want things to fly well either get a Raptor or build a RAID 0 array from two HD's.

Oh yes and be sure to install the AMD Dual Core CPU driver it fixes a bug in XP to do with dual core CPU's that in particular affects games which had compatibility problems with said CPU's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Did you get the 8000BWS or 8003 (Comes with a 25CM fan in the windows)

I got the 80003 and boy does it keep it cooler :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

I would like to add that another gig of ram would speed up load times. The first time the game loads up it might take the same amount of time as if you had 1gig of ram. But then after changing maps or playing over lan or on the internet map load times should be faster.

Also Company of heroes can be a drain on your ram with all details on high and playing in high res.

Yeah i got the one with the extra fan on the side panel..

wow those rapter drive are pricy.....dont have to much dosh after christmas (high maintenance wife and all that):)

Can anybody give me good advice on overclocking as i havent got a boggg

Various software came with the croshair ..ai booster etc...

• Advertisement
Advertisement