Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amouunt Of Study Per Night

Options
  • 10-01-2007 9:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭

Hey just wanted to know how much study everyone does per night .. starting afterschool study tomorrow . it lasts 2 hours approx ...That Enough

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

At the moment, zero. Next week I should be up to 2.5 - 3 hrs tho...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭wba88

Evening study is good, but hopefully i can do an extra 30-60mins a night next monday till the mocks (feb 7)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

3 hours after school study.

Trying to get into doing an extra hour at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭PeterMC

All night. Roughly 10 hours...its pretty hardcore, but if thats what it takes you know?

The worst bit is the 3 am slump, when all you want to do is sleep, but I've found these great tablets....

3/4 hours is sufficient IMO, the national average is something like 21hours in a week according to a guidance counsellor....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I make out a study schedule every morning (detailing what I want to revise that day) and I do after school study which lasts approx. 2 hours. When I get home I basically try and fulfill that schedule so I usually end up spending about 45mins to an hour doing that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

I spend about 2 3/4 hours a night. Sometimes more. I don't think I'm doing enough and might increase it soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

PeterMC wrote:
    All night. Roughly 10 hours...its pretty hardcore, but if thats what it takes you know?

The worst bit is the 3 am slump, when all you want to do is sleep, but I've found these great tablets....

3/4 hours is sufficient IMO, the national average is something like 21hours in a week according to a guidance counsellor....
    I actually highly doubt that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

same...........students bull****ing

im in junior cert.........im made do 3 hours a night...........

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

I don't do all that much. Up until Christmas I did the absolute bare minimum, and I'm not doing too badly. You really need to go over your work that you did that day that night, and then you're sorted on it. Now I'm doing maybe 2 - 2.5 hours including going over the work that day, so not all that much.

I actually highly doubt that.
    You believed that? ROFL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

It's now how much study you do each night : It's how you study and how effective you are!

Check out:

http://www.examsuccesstips.com/

for advice in this area.

That site looks dodgy to me...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

PeterMC wrote:

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 PrincessFiona

Quality, not quantity guys!! U need to be an effective studier!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Bout an hour for me. The mere fact that Im doing anything is the big shock

Actually planning on doing a bit more most nights. Luckily dont get much homework cos of small classes and get most done in class. But need just that small bit of improvement to guarantee that I will achieve my goal. Luckily I can tell what subjects need focusing on after Christmas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭darraghw

is this study not including homework?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

well i do 2 hours supervised study but i usually end up doing my homework so then i usually go to LIT library and do study there from 7-9 aswel, ive started this routine this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

When i did the LC last year my study routine was:

Monday to Thursday: 4:15 - 7:00
    Friday: 4:15 - 6:00
    Saturday/Sunday: No study

So basically i didnt do much but felt i did pretty well in the LC.
    The study times include homework.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Spank

2 hours supervised study, maybe a bit more if I have a test or something the next day. Still haven't copped on that the mocks are in 4 weeks.

welcome to boards Spank

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Spank

Lol thanks. I'm guessing I'll be spending most of my time in the LC section. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

As previously pointed out, TIME has nothing to do with it, it's what you study.

Good students don't judge by time spent, they judge by amount learned and how well they've learned it.

That said, the longer you're studying (PROPERLY), once not fatigued, the more likely you are to take things in, the more you revise the more likely you are to reinforce it in your mind.

good point

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

Study as much as you feel you need to.Not based on what others are doing,some need to study more than others to pick stuff up. If you've been listening in class you'll hugely reduce what you need to do.Also keep in mind what you need to get,obviously if you need 550+ you're going to need to do more than an hour or 2 a night.

I'm not so sure about that 21 hours a week being the average among students,sounds a bit like students lying about how much they've done.I doubt I did that much during my leaving cert,nevermind before.

Also a brilliant point by md99,time is not important at all.When I eventually started studying(June) I plugged out the clock in my room,why? Because I'd be more interested in how long I spent more than what I learnt.How bright it was outside was a good enough indicator for me. I changed subject when I got bored of it,not after a period of time elapsed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

My current study routine goes something like this:
    Monday to Thursday: 6:30 - 8:30 (after The Simpsons of course)
    Saturday: 10-4

I'm not bothered that I'm not doing the recommended 21 hours per day (*cough*), so long as I'm absorbing the information and learning from mistakes I'm making good progress. Best study advice I can think of is to look through the pass papers, do out full questions and then note where you went wrong. Odds are you won't make the same mistake twice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭mateo

None! I hate every subject and I'm always too tired from homework and school itself. I HATE SCHOOL! :(:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

This is the first night I made an effort. Started reading ''Reading in the dark'' and within ten minutes I was unconcious on the bed. What a start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭madgal

I have supervised study for 3 hours after school and whatever doesn't get finished gets done at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭sticky9cd

when i done my leaving last year i startes 1 week before the exams - done 2/3 hours a day - didnt study for the mocks :P
    i got 475 in leaving - needed 330 so i guess i fluked it :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

madgal wrote:
    I have supervised study for 3 hours after school and whatever doesn't get finished gets done at home.

The right attitude.

Studying ONLY within certain time constraints is very daunting. Have an *idea* of how much you'll do but don't finish once the clock hits the hour and you're in the middle of a topic.

I hate seeing these study timetables for the month with each day divided out, half hour sessions allocated to each topic. It's ridiculous. Something is bound to come up and your plan will be thrown way off. Not to mention its IMPOSSIBLE to categorise every section of the course by time spent.

A more accurate way of time-tabling your study is to make sure you do a certain amount a day in each subject, ie do a chapter in business, a section in economics, an area of maths etc., each day. Obviously if you're doing pass in a subject, you'll usually do less of it than your honours subjects.

As regards homework... I find it's a good way of tying subjects together, ie. study geog. for an hour, do 15 mins of homework and relax, then move on to another subject.

Advertisement