Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT seizures

Options
  • 10-01-2007 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know what happens to a car if the revenue commisioners take it off someone and they don't pay the vrt?
    Do they sell them off and if so where?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

They're usually left in compounds with the windows and sunroofs open so that they fill up with water etc., so they are of no use to anyone and eventually scrapped. I remember going up to look at a 3 year old Mercedes that was impounded by the customs a few years ago with a view to buying it from the owner and when we went up to look at it the sunroof had been left open and the car was full of water and bird ****e. It wasn't the only one, most of the cars were in a similar state. When we opened the drivers door the water just poured out of it. It was an absolute disgrace, even if the cars were auctioned off someone would benefit and the state would make money but as usual they don't give a ****e.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Please tell me your joking. Surely they have a duty of care to the owners until they are sold?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

It's surprising that such a money hungry organisation can overlook such an obvious source of income!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Thought they weren't sold, and instead crushed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

my dads friends audi a8 was seized as vrt wasnt paid ontime but it was given back 1 year later perfect and not crushed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

If it isnt paid in a certain time they should crush it and drop the cube in your driveway, that way they wont have to worry bout storing it long term.

Or just sell them all to generate revenue.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I heard somewhere that they were crushed as it would have been possible for the VRT evader to have harassed the new owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭Esel

kbannon wrote:
    I heard somewhere that they were crushed as it would have been possible for the VRT evader to have harassed the new owner.

How would the evader find the new owner? The car would be on the road with an Irish reg!

Mostly, people stump up the VRT (and possibly a penalty?) to get their car back. It's in the UK that cars seized for smuggling get crushed.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement