Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A pitch (or green) in Waterford

• 10-01-2007 10:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭

Recently an American Football Team was formed in Waterford and having developed an interest in the sport over the past year I decided to join. Fast forward three months and the state of the team is that while we have enough players to train on a weekly basis, we don't have a consistent place to train. We had been using the only remaining green area in the park until they plonked the iceskating there.

We've spent the last few weeks unsuccessfully trying to find a suitable place to train. We hope to find somewhere as soon as possible as we hope to play in the forthcoming Irish American Football League season which would require significant investment on our behalf for equipment such as jerseys, helmets and pads. As an aside; I've been informed about the Waterford Sports Partnership and plan on contacting them regarding a possible grant but would rather we have the necessary criteria (such as a place to play) in place before doing so (to appear in some way professional).

We've enquired to several people about possible pitches, but many existing clubs seem to be hesistant to initiate in any form of pitch sharing, especially while the inclement weather has rendered most pitches as little more than vast mud baths. With the RSC being the only place that I know of where you could rent a pitch, it also happens to be out of action for the forseeable future while they redevelop it.

I'd appreciate it if anyone could let me know of any clubs who would be willing to share a pitch or rent out any extra pitches that they may have. As a former soccer player, I know they're out there but chances are most of them have been sold off to be property developers like the Waterford Crystal were!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I cant even find a pitch for a standard saturday morning kickaround with a few friends. Even in Dublin with all of the clutter, theres plenty of parks where a few friends can have a leisurely game of soccer (or American football!).

Again.. The developers have swallowed up all of the public space in Waterford. What happened to the public pitches idea for the Dunmore road???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

Wow! An American Football Team in Waterford. Do you have a website, info, etc??

As regards pitch. I notice the 2 soccer pitches on the ring road they have training grounds beside one of them. Could be worth checking out. Would the city council not be obliging enough to faciliate you on a green patch thats not used?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

Ask the City Council. They are in the process of building Astro Turf pitches between St. John's Park and Williams Town Park. These will be let to clubs and the general public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

Did you ask waterpark rugby club there was cricket matches played there for a few years up to about 5 years ago,its down past there training pitch by the river.Ask somebody down there and go down and have a look at it ,wonder if the cricket pitch is still there :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    I would love to see american football played in waterford and baseball for that matter as for cricket RIP :(
    Would love to go down and have a look next time your training,you could borrow a wilson ball and a tom brady Jersey from me :D:D .Pm Me.

Also spread the word more,text matt keane sports show to highlight yourselves.

Advertisement