Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New House Lounge 5.1 Speaker Setup Advice

Options
  • 10-01-2007 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

I have included a rough sketch of my new setting room I have a yamaha av57 system so will need new cabling as well, as what I have is rubbish. So need advice on what cables as well and where to purchase. I am moving at the end of this month
    Also there is no floor down yet (Its concrete) I will be putting semi laminate down. The skirting is already on I have thought of routing but am reluctant to take off the boards.

PLEASE SEE BETTER PHOTO
    I would appreciate any help as I can only get this done once

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

I'm starting to sound like a broken record (no pun intended) across these threads but i'll say it again...
    Price 79 strand cable as a minimum (Maplins) or Nordost flat speaker cable which is high quality, perfect for under laminate and will never need to be upgraded. It is €9 a metre though but ye gets what you pay for. Cloney Audio in Blackrock are the only stockists of Nordost in ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

Cheers slaphead for that I was actually looking at that on ebay looks the stuff all right how about the room layout

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Personally... I'd put the TV & front speakers where you have the 2 seater - this allows you to create a 'soundstage with the rears and leave a bit of space around it all. Where the Tv is the drawing is all a bit tight and closed in...
    of course you could just move the TV to the right a few feet and use that alcove for a rack to house DVD player/VCR/Digibox etc. and leave the couches where they are. Maybe the second option there, being basically a tweak on your own design, works best?

I have added a new picture

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Psygnosis wrote:
    I have added a new picture

Are you going to be using the fireplace? Had you considered mounting a TV on the chimney breast, then the speakers fit nicely in the "normal" 5 speaker positions against/near the walls/corners.

L.

• Advertisement

I will be using the fireplace and would not like a tv over the fire thanks for the help though. Do you have any other suggestions

• Registered Users Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Which will be the main sofa you will be using for watching movies etc?

My room layout is very similar to yours but I never really use the sofa at the window (unless we have guests and I'm bumped over there!). :)

Hey,

I will be putting the small sofa in the window bay so the main sofa will be facing towards the fireplace if you get my drift

Any more ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Psygnosis wrote:
    Any more ideas?

What are the other rooms in the house used for?

What I mean is, how about converting a "permenant" bedroom into a home cinema room, with a couch bed or something?

That way you would not need to devote the entire sittingroom to a big tv, av boxes, speakers and wires all over the place.

??

Another option (but quite costly) would be to use in ceiling speakers.

L.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Salem

Hi Psygnosis,
    Maybe something like this ... Not to scale but you get the idea ...
    I've just installed AV59 package ... Sounds great ... My front center sits on top of telly, attached with velcro supplied ... You might even consider a centre rear in the future ... Plenty of threads on sub placement ...
    This might help you think of more options ...

I dont think my amp can take a center rear any one else know if it can

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Salem

Sorry it can't ... Wasn't sure ...

Bringing this thread back to life. I setup the speakers with 2 behind the main couch and the other 3 beside the tv. It does not sound like surround sound to me. Now I may upgrade to a soundbar like the yamaha ysp-1100 or yamaha 30/40d what would these be like in this setup

Advertisement