Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for students opinions of LIT

Options
  • 10-01-2007 10:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭

Hey, before making the decision to go there or not, I was wondering what the students (if any of you actually post..) think of the place?

It's a long way from home so I'd really appreciate it.

Rozabeez.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭sioda

Am an ex student of LIT and cant say enough good about it decent faciities good staff and well taught courses.

Great social side as well.

Avoid the curry water on the chips in the canteen.

LIT is a college under constant growth which can really only benefit the students. Plus they have great post grad opportunities

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Msfc

LIT is brilliant...have had the best craic down in limerick and have made the best of friends!! id definately reccommend it.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Evo

I'm also looking at LIT.. im transfering into second year... so i have a few questions

Whats the place like as in safety wise.. with all the troubles in limerick like?

also accomodation, I want to be close to UL as possible as I have alot of close friends in UL i'd like to visit, so where would be the best and how safe are they like ?

thanks..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Unfortunatly for you Ul is on the opposite side of the city than Lit is.

Well most places are grand around LIT, steer clear of Moyross and Kileely. Caherdavin,Woodview, Clareview are all grand so getting accomadation there should be grand. There is student accomadation aswel just down the road as far as I know.

A 15 min bus ride from town will bring you out to UL, its not that far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Geff

sioda wrote:
    Am an ex student of LIT and cant say enough good about it decent faciities good staff and well taught courses.

Great social side as well.

Avoid the curry water on the chips in the canteen.

LIT is a college under constant growth which can really only benefit the students. Plus they have great post grad opportunities

I also cannot stress this enough.

And for people coming from far away Limerick isn't that dangerous at all.

Its not what you see on TV or hear about. Ennis is ten times more dangerous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

/me takes note to avoid curry water

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭sme

i'm doing ce in lit and have also done comp sys in ul. i'd have to say that lit has far better lectures, that is to say that they explain things with greater clarity rather than just lecturing.

although for facilities lit is crap. there are nowhere near enough computers, tutorial rooms are often overfull and parking is a nightmare (well, parking in ul isnt great either)

on the accommadation side of it i found it quite difficult to get good housing over here, most of the houses are quite old in comparison to brierfield/orchards.

and limerickdude, ul a 15min bus ride, what planet is that on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭AidoCQS

Evo wrote:
    I'm also looking at LIT.. im transfering into second year... so i have a few questions

Whats the place like as in safety wise.. with all the troubles in limerick like?

thanks..

Unless you are planning on moving in on or taking over one of the gangs turf's you should be ok. :D:D:D

But seriously it reminds me of Dublin in the early 90

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

safety is no more of a issue in limerick than it is in any other city in ireland
    dont let the media hype get to ya
    I love this city but it looks like ill be going to UL because of my business course
    from friends though they all say LIT is a great college

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 shurtisonlyme

hi guys, i'm studying business (accounting) in lit at the mo, tough course but have to say the lecturers the whole way up have been great (apart from a couple of exeptions!!). very helpful to you if you're making a half effort! I'd recommend it. I had some trouble in 2nd yr and 1 or 2 really went out of their way to make sure i was ok. in fairness to them,most try to make it interesting and dont just sit reading from a book. lit itself is ok,not much student atmosphere but its what you make of it yourself really.if you want to get involved you can,if you dont,then dont!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭dave_t

Going into my final year in LIT and I have to say I've had a good experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭opelmanta

limerick is amazing craic but LIT however i cannot recommend

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭sme

opelmanta wrote: »
    limerick is amazing craic but LIT however i cannot recommend

may i ask what you do and what year you are in?

sme wrote: »
    may i ask what you do and what year you are in?

yes you may...i studied sound and video technology for three years. i am finished mow but the course was appalling. terribly organised and terribly run so that is why i would recommend LIT to absolute no-one unless they were looking to waste a few years of their life

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

OP, i'm in first yr of Music Technology and Production and i would highly recommend LIT, the craic is mighty and everyone is sound....go for it!!!

Geff wrote: »
    I also cannot stress this enough.

And for people coming from far away Limerick isn't that dangerous at all.

Its not what you see on TV or hear about. Ennis is ten times more dangerous.

there is no way in hell that ennis is ten times more dangerous than limerick!! not a hope in hell!! limerick is more dangerous but in saying that its definately not as bad as people make out. its just like anyother city BUT ennis is safer!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Evo wrote: »
    thanks..

Never listen to the media about limerick. I lived in cratloe student village for 3 yrs(right beside moyross!) and never had any problems. Basically if you dont look for trouble you wont get it like any other city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Seldducie

As a mature student currently in second year I can't recommend LIT enuf. Lecturers are one in a million and so are the students as well as the surroundings. I just love it. Cant say much for canteen food though........:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Seldducie

Brillant college, fantastic lecturers. Im a second yr mature student and I can't recommend LIT enuf. Forget about Limerick and concentrate on college life.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Cato

Lets see were to start?

Poor facilities/equipment
    Poor lecturers especially outside ones paid by the colledge that frankly could give a flying toss, and are absent half the time.
    Very poor Courses, badly thought out/irrelevant classes
    Little to no Social scene, thought the ents officer did try godless him and her
    Bad location, not only will you have to deal with scumbags everyday making the walk home a gamble at best you will have to wait in traffic for at least 20-30mins during peak times which is ALL the time, busses are **** as well dont even think of waiting for one.
    Theres one good thing LIT did teach me though in my 3 years there, is dont choose a course based on a prospectus or any other propaganda handed out by the college, its obvious LIT is seriously underdeveloped and instead of spending the money on better services and improving courses they are wasting in on crap like new building you don't need like that bull**** incubator thing to make them more money, car parks and sports facilities.

There ive said my piece i despise the place and am glad im not going back luckily i got a "qualification" i would kill myself if i wasted 3-4 years there without nothing.

PS DONT DO VIDEO AND SOUND TECHNOLOGY!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Cato wrote: »
    Lets see were to start?

Poor facilities/equipment
    Poor lecturers especially outside ones paid by the colledge that frankly could give a flying toss, and are absent half the time.
    Very poor Courses, badly thought out/irrelevant classes
    Little to no Social scene, thought the ents officer did try godless him and her
    Bad location, not only will you have to deal with scumbags everyday making the walk home a gamble at best you will have to wait in traffic for at least 20-30mins during peak times which is ALL the time, busses are **** as well dont even think of waiting for one.
    Theres one good thing LIT did teach me though in my 3 years there, is dont choose a course based on a prospectus or any other propaganda handed out by the college, its obvious LIT is seriously underdeveloped and instead of spending the money on better services and improving courses they are wasting in on crap like new building you don't need like that bull**** incubator thing to make them more money, car parks and sports facilities.

There ive said my piece i despise the place and am glad im not going back luckily i got a "qualification" i would kill myself if i wasted 3-4 years there without nothing.

PS DONT DO VIDEO AND SOUND TECHNOLOGY!
    Wow I disagree with you on so many points...

bad social scene? limerick has one of the best in the country, its a brill city

1huge1 wrote: »

limerick does have a great social scene but out in lit its pure s**te ffs. i mean theres no pubs on campus and no pubs nearby and durin rag week anythin thats organised by LIT is crap.
    even UL and Mary I ave better organisation!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Cato

1huge1 wrote: »

was talking about LIT..

Advertisement