Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB a good recommendation?

Options
  • 10-01-2007 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭

A freind of mine has asked for advice on which BB provider he should go for (he lives in Rathgar). I would have automatically suggested Irish Broadband first as they've been great with me. Am I right to do so?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

frobisher wrote:
    A freind of mine has asked for advice on which BB provider he should go for (he lives in Rathgar). I would have automatically suggested Irish Broadband first as they've been great with me. Am I right to do so?

Depends on where you yourself live. If you happen to live near(ish) Rathgar, then by all means, recommend them. I personally have had very few issues with them (I'm in Ballinteer) and have been with them for a few years now and am happy as larry. Others, in places like Blanchardstown, apparently have not been so lucky in their experiences.

Swings & roundabouts. That's all it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭sisyphus

Living in Ballsbridge area myself, and got their 2Mbps (Since upgraded to 3 Mbps) installed a few months back. Excellent service. No problems whatsoever with it thus far.
    As for Rathgar area, I'm pretty sure they have coverage there. They should be able to check coverage anyways if you call them. Not so sure about RipWave, but the Breeze product is spot-on for me anyways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Personal experience - steer clear of RipWave - it's rubbish.

No personal experience of Breeze, but most related posts on the boards seem relatively positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

oh dear god no dont do it... They are not worth losing a friend over.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Had Breeze 2MB. Wouldn't recommend to a friend. Would however recommend to someone I hate!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Whoops, to clarify my earlier post, I'm on the 3mb Breeze package. Might be an idea for customers (current or otherwise) to state which location they were using IBB from so that the OP can form a reasonable decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

hi ahd it and it was terrible for the first few montsh then it was ok but they dont give a fcuk about there costumers and i bleave that they are being bought by clearwire and they are even worse.

if any one can get eircom get it.

irish broadband is just for those who cant get anything else a last resort

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

You ask for location, you get it......I was trying to use Ripwave in Limerick.....the signal and service went from bad to dire (and a friend in another location had the same problem).

Eventually managed to get Smart via DSL, but just prior to that I was seriously considering going back to a dial-up modem (and indeed had to on many occasions); while I occasionally got reliable connections as long as I was sending/receiving small emails/files, my friend's connection speeds - usually about 48K - would seriously warrant her switching to dial-up.

I think I eventually spotted her problem; according to the map on the IBB site, IBB have moved the mast so she was suddenly out of coverage (on the original map she was almost underneath the mast - but even then the original signal/speed/reliability was very poor) but they hadn't (and still haven't) told her themselves that they've moved it.

It's possible that the map is wrong or should say "Breeze coverage" and the Ripwave service is just ****e regardless of whether you're within coverage, but if the above is indeed the case and they do move masts and don't bother telling people then I'd be very wary of recommending them to anyone, regardless of whether Breeze is more reliable than Ripwave or whether they're within coverage.

Re the "if anyone can get eircom get it" post, I'd go one step further; if you can get Smart's broadband you'll have a reliable connection, no contention, and options of up to 8MB for less than €50.....

But (and this is completely out-of-character for me, considering that eircom tried to scuttle the one company that I've ever been 100% happy with in terms of service promised and received) even I'd recommend eircom BB ahead of IBB.....overpriced, lousy tactics, anti-competitive it might be, but at least it works!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

By brother had IBB in Churchtown thats close to rathgar and he got rid of it cause of the probmels he had there. I have it In blanchardstown and it really bad. Its like russian roulette getting in IBB as ya can get lucky and not get shot in the head but its not a risk i would take if i had an alternitave choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭ODS

Bugger IBB - I had no service whatsoever from Friday night until this morning; same thing happened last weekend - lights on showing signal being received, yet diagnostics on computer show no signal :mad:

Its not so much the unreliable speeds I mind (anywhere between 7 - 480 kbs in the same location), but its when I cant access it whatsoever on my days off that it really pi$$es me off no end :mad:

OP: IBB is a deadly recommendation - for enemies :rolleyes:

*loads post, and then starts looking around for other providers*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 9onRichterScale

If you really hate the guy who asked for your advice, go and recommend IBB for him :-))! They will drive him BANANAS and that`s for sure! :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Ray777

I've had IBB (Ripwave) for a while now, and I find it very good. Since September, I've had hardly any downtime, give or take a couple of hours here and there. Just yesterday, I had an account problem (inexplicably couldn't get past the walled-garden). I rang IBB customer support, expecting to be kept on hold for hours, having heard plenty of horror stories. I was on hold for five minutes and back online within ten.

I honestly can't complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Steibhin

I live in the Kilmainham/Rialto area and find the IBB Ripware speeds very very slow and unreliable.

Advertisement