Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metro, Magnet, or DSL?

Options
  • 11-01-2007 1:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭

Hi people,

I'm moving down to portlaoise soon & will be looking for BB in the gaff. At the moment I'm with BT and fairly happy with the service. However, it took me eight weeks & 30 calls to get the line switched from Eircom.

I really don't want to have to go through this nightmare again. My other two options are Metro which seems fairly ok, and Magnet which seems like a total ripp.

So I'd like some advice. DSL, Metro, or Magnet? I do a bit of torrenting. Does Metro allow this? Is Magnet actually any use? Or should I just bite the bullet & go for solid old DSL

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Magnet IS normally solid old DSL save in some parts of Portlaoise where they supply the fibre connections in an entire housing estate in which case its solid old fibre.

Metro is solid old wireless.

Welcome to the world of CHOICE my friend :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Digiweb Metro don't much care what you do provided it below the rolling cap (various sizes available).
    In theory Magnet is the same, but some folks had difficulty configuring router port forwarding.

Unless it is magnet Fibre, getting changed an eirom line to Magnet DSL might take a while. Metro is a ox on your wall or chimney and no eircom line needed. Does phone. You can even get two separate numbers/"lines".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

watty wrote:
    ox on your wall

A dead cow on me wall watty :eek: how horrible !

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Ooops!
    Dead Goats come to mind for some reason too.

BOX the roughly the size of a couple of phone books

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

How do you know if Magnet has fibre in your area?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

id imagine it would be visibly noticeable, otherwise send them an email i guess

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭sturgo

I found a load of RJ45 sockets around my house. Looks like I have a fibre optic connection to my house. Looks like I might go for Magnet after all.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

lol, imagine not noticing your house pre-wired with rj45 roflmao :-)
    anyways, if using the FTTH system, then the TV is still optional. If you prefer to have just the broadband, then get the Magnet Intro or Magnet Lite options ( depending on whether you want their call package too )

You should get pretty damn good speeds on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

sturgo wrote:
    I found a load of RJ45 sockets around my house. Looks like I have a fibre optic connection to my house. Looks like I might go for Magnet after all.

Thanks!
    By any chance are you moving to the Fairgreens in Portlaoise?

Paddy

Advertisement