Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Of Broadband USB modems and other woes

• 11-01-2007 2:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭

Some of you may be interested in hearing of my recent experiences with the new Voodoo broadband USB modem and the 3 Ireland HSDPA card.

I bought the USB modem a) because it works with my MacBook (and suits it) but b) because the staff in two Vodafone shops in Galway informed me that the unlimited data option @ 49€ a month applied both in the north of Ireland and the UK. This was the killer for me (although it won't of course apply to most of you).

As MT calls are free in the north this seemed plausible enough but I remained somewhat sceptical. I checked unbilled calls every day online but all use while in the north was billed at zero between the 08/12 and the 21/12 except for the one time the modem strayed to the Orange UK net near Portadown and a charge was posted for this within hours. I had therefore no reason to doubt the veracity of the staff's claims.

On the morning of the 22/12 the bill rocketed to 430+€; I instantly called CC, was not offered much sympathy despite the fact that the whole sale was based on erroneous information and eventually a Team Manager said I could return it -but only to the shop in Galway. I said that this was ridiculous, it would cost at least 150€ to so do to recover 129,99€ and why couldn't I leave it into Grafton St where I am to be found 3 times a week. But he was adamant.

On the 29/12 I phoned the shop in Galway and spoke to the manageress who once again claimed that the data usage in the north was free. I informed her that it definitely was not. She was most helpful, agreed it was her fault, spoke to Head Office, phoned me back and refuted the Team Manager's claims and said I could leave it back for a refund in any shop. This has now been done and I have been refunded. I have received a final bill of 610€ (it was used just six times in the north) and I have refused point blank to pay it.

The alternative was a mysterious 'other tariff' variously quoted to me as 75€, 79€, 90€, 95€ and 99€ -which would allow roaming everywhere without further penalty. Then I was informed that this had been withdrawn owing to inaccurate billing throughout Europe. Then I was finally told that the add-on maybe does still exist, is 90€ (with VAT) and is on top of the 49€. In fact, at no time during this sorry saga have I ever been given the impression that anyone in Vodafone Ireland is singing from the same hymn sheet about any aspect of this otherwise wonderful device.

Several friends have obtained these; one, a musician got his for his MacBook and was told, in the flagship store on Grafton St that it was 'free to use' in the north -where he often gigs.

The second I was refunded by Voodoo I legged it to 3 and (eventually) got the datacard -which of course I am forced to use with a PC. So far, all is fine. The card is only 40, the tariff is 40 and I am assured that 50% of the 3gig allowance is available to me while in the north. Though on foot of the '3 like home' announcement, I wonder if not all is now useable? The following is taken from the FAQ -"3 Like Home applies to all Voice Calls, Video Calls, Text Messaging, Picture & Video Messaging and *Data usage* by all Pay Monthly and 3Pay customers. "

In any case, it's a bargain and I can't wait until tomorrow night to give it a full lash in Dublin (no HSDPA near Lisburn). It sure beats the 3UK equivalent offering @ 70€ approx for 1 gig.

Incidentally, 3 wouldn't let me have it as you cannot sign up to them with a northern address, the loonies. I have no such problem with any of their competitors all of whom I have an account with and all of whom I pay by credit card. I had to request a favour from a friend to get it in her name.

I'll post on performance etc., when back in Dublin.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭wirelessdude

culabula wrote:
    Some of you may be interested in hearing of my recent experiences with the new Voodoo broadband USB modem and the 3 Ireland HSDPA card.

I bought the USB modem a) because it works with my MacBook (and suits it) but b) because the staff in two Vodafone shops in Galway informed me that the unlimited data option @ 49€ a month applied both in the north of Ireland and the UK. This was the killer for me (although it won't of course apply to most of you).

As MT calls are free in the north this seemed plausible enough but I remained somewhat sceptical. I checked unbilled calls every day online but all use while in the north was billed at zero between the 08/12 and the 21/12 except for the one time the modem strayed to the Orange UK net near Portadown and a charge was posted for this within hours. I had therefore no reason to doubt the veracity of the staff's claims..at the moment the unlimite

On the morning of the 22/12 the bill rocketed to 430+€; I instantly called CC, was not offered much sympathy despite the fact that the whole sale was based on erroneous information and eventually a Team Manager said I could return it -but only to the shop in Galway. I said that this was ridiculous, it would cost at least 150€ to so do to recover 129,99€ and why couldn't I leave it into Grafton St where I am to be found 3 times a week. But he was adamant.

On the 29/12 I phoned the shop in Galway and spoke to the manageress who once again claimed that the data usage in the north was free. I informed her that it definitely was not. She was most helpful, agreed it was her fault, spoke to Head Office, phoned me back and refuted the Team Manager's claims and said I could leave it back for a refund in any shop. This has now been done and I have been refunded. I have received a final bill of 610€ (it was used just six times in the north) and I have refused point blank to pay it.

The alternative was a mysterious 'other tariff' variously quoted to me as 75€, 79€, 90€, 95€ and 99€ -which would allow roaming everywhere without further penalty. Then I was informed that this had been withdrawn owing to inaccurate billing throughout Europe. Then I was finally told that the add-on maybe does still exist, is 90€ (with VAT) and is on top of the 49€. In fact, at no time during this sorry saga have I ever been given the impression that anyone in Vodafone Ireland is singing from the same hymn sheet about any aspect of this otherwise wonderful device.

Several friends have obtained these; one, a musician got his for his MacBook and was told, in the flagship store on Grafton St that it was 'free to use' in the north -where he often gigs.

The second I was refunded by Voodoo I legged it to 3 and (eventually) got the datacard -which of course I am forced to use with a PC. So far, all is fine. The card is only 40, the tariff is 40 and I am assured that 50% of the 3gig allowance is available to me while in the north. Though on foot of the '3 like home' announcement, I wonder if not all is now useable? The following is taken from the FAQ -"3 Like Home applies to all Voice Calls, Video Calls, Text Messaging, Picture & Video Messaging and *Data usage* by all Pay Monthly and 3Pay customers. "

In any case, it's a bargain and I can't wait until tomorrow night to give it a full lash in Dublin (no HSDPA near Lisburn). It sure beats the 3UK equivalent offering @ 70€ approx for 1 gig.

Incidentally, 3 wouldn't let me have it as you cannot sign up to them with a northern address, the loonies. I have no such problem with any of their competitors all of whom I have an account with and all of whom I pay by credit card. I had to request a favour from a friend to get it in her name.

I'll post on performance etc., when back in Dublin.

hi cula....i work for vodafone in this area..at the moment the 49euro applied to just the republic....as an add on you can add 75euro unlimited data roaming
    ...so unlimited roaming would be 49+75=124.....if you want to PM me feel free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

i work for vodafone in this area..at the moment the 49euro applied to just the republic....as an add on you can add 75euro unlimited data roaming
    ...so unlimited roaming would be 49+75=124

Hi: as you can see from my post I have understood this -the point is that Vodafone staff in two of their shops clearly and irrefutably led me to understand that no roaming charges would be incurred while using the USB modem on the Voda UK network in either the north of Ireland or in Great Britain.

In addition you quote me 75 where I am now assured the charge is 90 (perhaps you mean 75 plus VAT but bear in mind that the 49 includes VAT). This makes for a charge of 140€ per month which is out of my league. However several Voda sources have told me that this tariff has been withdrawn and try as I might, I can find no information about this on the company's website. Can you provide a URL?

All academic of course as I now have gone 3 -who, at 40€ per month are cheaper, faster and clear, allowing me to use at least 50% of my allocated 3GB per month outside the jurisdiction. Sweet!

Currently online with this in the heart of Dublin -it's magic and the speeds are much faster than that of Vodafone. Delighted with it. 3G in the north, never goes to GPRS there.

On the other hand, just around Drogheda station it appears to use national roaming and go onto Voda's GPRS offering: weird.

Another friend of mine just got his first bill on the USB modem. Despite paying the upper tariff of 140€ per month, to avoid roaming charges, he got a bill of 3k.

Can. Open. Worms. Everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭joerules

Luckily I read this thread. Tomorrow I was actually going to ask work to replace my ThinkPad with a Mac. I completely forgot that they removed the PCCard slot when they went Intel. I had a look on the net for a PCCard to USB convertor. Found one (that was even compatible with 3's modem) but they are very explicit that it won't work on a mac :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

culabula wrote:
    Another friend of mine just got his first bill on the USB modem. Despite paying the upper tariff of 140€ per month, to avoid roaming charges, he got a bill of 3k.

Can. Open. Worms. Everywhere.
    Unfortunitly it seems most networks have mixed information coming out of their helpdesks and their shops .. and it's often a case you have to ring up 5 or 6 times and just take an average.

Bills of 3000eur that can be avoided are the result of their inability to train staff correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

This isn't just a Mac issue, most new PC laptops, including Dell's, also don't have PC card slots anymore. It's all gone USB 2 and ExpressCard.

Which makes you wonder why 3 in Ireland still only offer old school PC card slots. I haven't had a laptop with that kind of slot for almost 2 years.

joerules wrote:
    Luckily I read this thread. Tomorrow I was actually going to ask work to replace my ThinkPad with a Mac. I completely forgot that they removed the PCCard slot when they went Intel. I had a look on the net for a PCCard to USB convertor. Found one (that was even compatible with 3's modem) but they are very explicit that it won't work on a mac :(

Please don't not get a MacBook because of the crummy PC card from3. Using the Vodafone USB modem within the Republic is a pain-free option and does just cost 49€ per month. It's roaming and associated costs they need to straighten out.

I lost my MacBook at the beginning of November which is why I have been forced to exhume my Sony Vaio; I have also chosen 3 over Voda because it works in the Vaio's PC card slot and specifically because some or all of the allowance can be used roaming in the north. The speeds attained are great but I wish it was a USB modem and Mac-compatible. If Voda match the 3 offer in the near future I will go back like a shot.

Bills of 3000eur that can be avoided are the result of their inability to train staff correctly.[/QUOTE]

Agreed: I have heard a dozen variations on the data tariff coming from Voda staff: in my friend's case it seems it was not explained to him that the upper tariff at 140€ would not kick in until after his first bill and the beginning of the 2nd month. In fact he was told it would be applicable immediately.

This isn't just a Mac issue, most new PC laptops, including Dell's, also don't have PC card slots anymore. It's all gone USB 2 and ExpressCard.

Which makes you wonder why 3 in Ireland still only offer old school PC card slots. I haven't had a laptop with that kind of slot for almost 2 years.

I cannot understand why they haven't gone down the USB route too., But at least 3 IRL's modem is the 630 and not the 620 offered by their British arm and is actually capable of HSDPA. Hopefully there will soon be a USB->PC card adaptor which will work and which will also work with Macs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement