Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mahler

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

It's a great piece. The choir I'm in (RTE Philharmonic) sang it with the Symphony Orchestra before Christmas. We also did No.3 (in which Mahler goes a bit mad a writes a half hour long first movement).

If you're interested we're performing No.8 "The Symphony of 1000 voices" in May in the National Basketball arena with lots of other choirs.

I also studied him back in the day in college. I always felt that he'd missed out on making lots of money for film scores. I find that his music is very full of imagery. You can see the scenes that he's describing in his mind's eye with his music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

I feel ashamed at how little I know of Mahler. :(

Recommendations to ween me in? Sensually.

EDIT.... Where did you study music tSubh?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Well I quite like the music of his Mass in E minor I think it was that we sang with the choir a few years ago. However I can find no mention of it anywhere on the web, possibly because it's not well known. It does contain some of the most haunting music I ever heard that put me slightly in mind of the "elves theme" in LOTR.

You might want to try Das klagende Lied, which is one of his most famous choral works. It's a song cycle about a shepard that's killed by a knight/prince for getting to the flower to give to the beautiful maiden/princess.

In the next movement a guy finds the bones of the first guy and turns one into a flute. The flute will only play the story of what happened to the dead guy.

Flute-maker guy takes the flute to the palace to show it off as it's so amazing. He plays the flute and the palace comes tumbling down.

The End.

Very weird but kind of cool. Good music but a bit of a bitch to sing if you're a sop (too many high notes, all the way through, ick)

His symphonies are all good but do watch out for that extra long first movement in No.3 (that's the one that lasts half an hour)

I think (but can't remember accurately) that I like No7 the best. I keep getting the numbers mixed up in my head.

I studied in UCD funky, Mahler was part of the "History of the Romantic Symphony" module in 3rd year.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Coileach dearg

High highly recommend the 1st symphony especially the final movement and the 2nd symphony. I haven't listened to the 3rd, 6th or 7th yet but the 9th is pure brilliant...very slow moving but with great melodies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Per Liefsonson

There was an absolutely brilliant performance by the Dresden Staatskapelle of the 9th in the NCH last Saturday, conducted by Daniel Harding. It's on Lyric FM tonight at eight. I would highly recommend any Mahler fans to check it out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement