Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many alarms did you hear last night?!

Options
  • 11-01-2007 10:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭

Went to bed at 10.30, alarm going off. Woke up at 3.40, alarm going off. Woke again at 4.30, alarm going off. Got up at 7, alarm going off.

Are people stupid that they don't realize their alarms will go off in windy weather or are they just plain selfish?

As a result I'm extremely tired and cranky today in work. Is it really too much to ask to get an undisturbed night of sleep in my own apartment?:mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

Are those alarms effective? I mean, do the Gardai arrive and investigate and why do they go on ad infinatum?

It would appear that they are not much of a deterrent. Anyone care to comment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭wingding

Heinrich wrote:
    Are those alarms effective? I mean, do the Gardai arrive and investigate and why do they go on ad infinatum?

It would appear that they are not much of a deterrent. Anyone care to comment?

Not a deterrent at all. I think everyone should just turn the bloody things off. Unless of course you're one of the few people who nought a decent one and know how to use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

IMHO, there's not much point having an alarm if it's not monitored.

Consider the alarm that was going off for three days from New Years morning. Nobody thought to enquire if the property was actually broken into, it was just a source of annoyance. At least with a monitored alarm, a key holder will be alerted to come switch it off.

Wingding, don't forget, you can contact your managing company agent to have something done about the alarm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

wingding wrote:
    Not a deterrent at all. I think everyone should just turn the bloody things off. Unless of course you're one of the few people who nought a decent one and know how to use it.
    Considering the cost of installation I would be eager to hear some first hand comments of how they foiled burglars or how the Gardai came running and arrested the criminals in the act etc.

I was a keyholder many years ago and the nuisance of having to go to the other side of town to be there for the Gardai/Security Co. to verify that some damned cat or gust of wind set the yoke off...

I believe that they are useless. Not a deterrent but a good moneyspinner for the alarm companies.

CCTV might be a better investment. Has anyone installed one and what sort of cost is involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭wingding

IMHO, there's not much point having an alarm if it's not monitored.

Consider the alarm that was going off for three days from New Years morning. Nobody thought to enquire if the property was actually broken into, it was just a source of annoyance. At least with a monitored alarm, a key holder will be alerted to come switch it off.

Wingding, don't forget, you can contact your managing company agent to have something done about the alarm.

I'm in Seabourne and the alarms that are going off are in Charlesland. AFAIK they're different managing companies, so I presume there's little my managing company agent can do? If I could find out if it's always the same alarm I'd happily call over and confront the owners.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

I can't say I heard an alarm last night, but if you were to report it to a managing agent, you'd need to know what property it was.

Add to that the fact that there seem to be different managing agents for each phase, it just makes things very complicated. Your agent should have some contact with the others and may be able to help.

Advertisement