Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my sleep is fecked.

Options
  • 11-01-2007 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,694 ✭✭✭✭

Right...

Last week I started staying up too late and sleeping in too much...So I did what I normally do to fix this.

I starve myself of sleep for a day and a night forcing me to bed really early the next day and thus putting me back on a proper sleep scheduale.

So I did this last wednsday/thursday...except something went wrong I went a night and a day and then a night again...which was unusual and didnt put me on the sleep scheduale I needed.

So I ended up sleeping in on friday and staying up late friday night...in fact I didnt go to sleep on friday cause by the time I fell asleep my phone rang and I had to go see my family. So I was starved a night and a day of sleep again.

I came home saturday night exhausted and got the sleep I needed...problem was I had come down with some cold and ended up sleeping in again...once more I was up all night Sunday and all day Monday and I got a normal nights sleep and on tuesday everything looked like it was finally fixed.

except...yep you guessed it...I couldnt sleep tuesday night till about 8am and slept in yesterday...which has yes you guessed it again left me unable to get any sleep this morning and I think I'm gonna end up awake all of today aswell *grumble*

So as far as I can figure i'm staying awake for 24 hours...then sleeping an excessive amount and then staying up for 24 hours again.

Best way to break this horrid cycle?

I was thinking of giving myself 2-4 hour small sleep cycles for the next day or two until I get in the position where I sleep normal hours...

Also I need a better alarm clock my mobile doesnt seem to cut it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Lust4Life

Sleep aids? Pills? A warm shower? Soft music? No caffiene?

Focus on getting a proper night's sleep and you can make it happen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

A lot of things affect sleeping behaviour:
    1. Exercise and fitness
    2. Nutrition and vitamins
    3. Smoking, drugs, booze, coffee and tea
    4. Stress
    5. Sleeping partners
    6. Job/school demands and scheduling
    7. Suitable bed for sleeping
    8. Other factors...

Me thinks that you are only addressing sleep, and not loading all the other important factors in your life and how they may affect your day and sleeping schedule? For example, rather than starving myself of sleep to drive myself back on a sleeping schedule, I find that strenuous exercise, a nice meal, a glass of wine, and reading at bedtime can often put me to sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Get an alarm clock like this one, it won't shut up unless you get out of bed and put the puzzle pieces back in. :) Is it that you sleep through the mobile alarm clock?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Stop playing computer games all night? :)

Advertisement