Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

microphone bargains

Options
  • 11-01-2007 10:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭

HAs anybody heard of this guy before?

http://www.naiant.com

Matched pair of condensors for €40! Heard about him on a podcast - he is a one-man show. I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Carrigsound

At 10mm the capsule is quite small, not necesserily a problem, just an observation. I dont see any figures here for s/n ratio or dynamic range which I don't trust. I personally wouldn't buy them.

Cheers

Liam

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Yup I've chatted with the guy that manufactures them, and recommended them on another thread. I havn't got round to ordering mine yet sadly, but by all accounts, they're amazing value for money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Bratach Bán

I know a few people who have bought them and are delighted with them.

I have also heard recordings that were made using them and they sound great. Great value for money, great sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

I can't help being a little sceptical to be honest. Are the great because they're good value or because they are great at any price? I'm trying to build my studio so that my signal chains do it their job perfectly and the only thing that more money will do is get you a different way or flavour of recording/mixing rather than a better way. Do Niants have a place in their? I'd love to think so but yeah, I'm sceptical.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

frobisher wrote:
    I can't help being a little sceptical to be honest. Are the great because they're good value or because they are great at any price? I'm trying to build my studio so that my signal chains do it their job perfectly and the only thing that more money will do is get you a different way or flavour of recording/mixing rather than a better way. Do Niants have a place in their? I'd love to think so but yeah, I'm sceptical.

Well if money's no option then you'll have an amazing signal chain!! But seriously, eveyone has to make some compromise between quality and money. I have a couple of Studio Projects LDCs but I havn't ever sent thousands on mics and pre amps. I've spent money on worse things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

TelePaul wrote:
    Well if money's no option then you'll have an amazing signal chain!! But seriously, eveyone has to make some compromise between quality and money. I have a couple of Studio Projects LDCs but I havn't ever sent thousands on mics and pre amps. I've spent money on worse things.

I didn't say money was no object! If only!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

They look great for people like me who would just need a couple of basic condenser mics for recording samples that will later be digitally mutilated anyway, vocoding, or other applications that don't require a pristine signal. Thomann's t.bone range of budget condensers are supposed to be great bargain basement mics too. The likes of these are chinese knockoffs of german designs, the manufacturing quality is supposed to be improving rapidly though.

Advertisement