Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bupa 10K Training

Options
  • 11-01-2007 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'll be signing up for the BUPA 10k in April. I ran it last year in about 50 Minutes. I'd like to Improve on that time.

I ran the Dublin Marathon in last year and am finding it hard to maintain a fast pace when running now. Whats the best thing to do:

2-3 runs a week, which include high speed intervals, say 400-800 metres with jog recoveries? Then a longer run, 5-10 miles steady at the weekend?

Should I be doing squats to increase strenght?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭louthandproud

StaggerLee wrote:
    Hi All,

I'll be signing up for the BUPA 10k in April. I ran it last year in about 50 Minutes. I'd like to Improve on that time.

I ran the Dublin Marathon in last year and am finding it hard to maintain a fast pace when running now. Whats the best thing to do:

2-3 runs a week, which include high speed intervals, say 400-800 metres with jog recoveries? Then a longer run, 5-10 miles steady at the weekend?

Should I be doing squats to increase strenght?

I read somewhere "long slow runs, make long slow runners".

Speedwork and hill reps is probably your best bet, start small and increase then as event gets closer. Perhaps devote one day a week alternating between hill reps and speed reps. Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭aburke

I read somewhere "long slow runs, make long slow runners".

I'm not sure I agree with this fully.
    I found my times improved the more mileage I was doing.
    I'm not sure speedwork would have a huge benefit, unless you were clocking about 30-35 miles a week as it is.
    At that stage its nice to have something else into the mix.

Long runs should be comfortable.. but not TOO comfortable :-)

Just my 2 cents anyway
    Alan

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭louthandproud

aburke wrote:
    I'm not sure I agree with this fully.
    I found my times improved the more mileage I was doing.
    I'm not sure speedwork would have a huge benefit, unless you were clocking about 30-35 miles a week as it is.
    At that stage its nice to have something else into the mix.

Long runs should be comfortable.. but not TOO comfortable :-)

Just my 2 cents anyway
    Alan

Not my words, just read it somewhere. But I think the theory is that long runs alone eventually will not lead to further time improvements. I think the trick in training anyway is to have some variety. However the long runs still remain the most importamnt element of distance trianing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 thirtysomething

Go to www.halhigdon.com (Editor Runners World for years) and you will find lots of free information from starting out running to improving your time. You don't need to be pounding out 30-35 miles a week to benifit from speed work.
    Speedwork and Strength sessions should be part of your schedule even if your goal is a 45 min 10k.

Advertisement