Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice Please on Buying Camcorder

• 11-01-2007 10:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm looking to buy a camcorder, Ideally I'd love digital but as I've limited funds it'll be second hand and more than likely analog.

This is basically for home movies to record the antics of my 2yr old son and the new baby due in February.

I've no idea what to look out for when buying one so I need your advice. Should I be looking for a particular ressolution? Are all the tapes: 8mm, Hi8 etc still in use and easily available to buy?

Basically I don't ant to get stuck with a lemon. Advice please.

J

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

And the same question from me regarding digitals if anyone is responding!

Have 3-500 to spend and seems do able but just want to avoid regretting the choice....

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Original Poster, how much are you looking to spend?

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭conical

Well, I'd really stay away from analogue. You would almost certainly be stuck with a lemon then. A mini DV camcorder would be perfect for your needs. I use a Canon XM2 which is way above what the average user would need, but a friend bought a samsung (i think) from argos for around €270, and i see they have a sony for €270.99 in their sale catalogue at the moment. 60 min tapes are only around €4.

With analogue all you'll ever do with it is put it on a crappy VHS, but with DV you can easily put it onto your computer (with a firewire cable) and use iMovie or windows moviemaker to make your own DVDs / youtube vids etc.

-C

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭conical

...just re-reading your post.

The specs are all going to be fairly similar at this price range, if you're spending more you'd want a 3CCD camera, or High definition "HDV" but these will all be single CCD, which is fine for the purpose.

things to lookout for though are
    - good optical zoom (digital zoom doesn't really count for anything)
    - Good battery life or spare battery
    - good performance in low light
    - Some have a useful lamp on the front
    - firewire output (i think sony call it iLink)

- try to always use the same brand of tapes (i think boots have sony DV tapes 3for2 alot of the time)
    - would highly recommend getting a tripod, with as smooth a pan and tilt as you can afford.

-C

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭ncit9933

Is the hard drive ones the best of the lot?
    Any good deals going on these?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭extopia

If you ask me Mini DV is the way to go:

BETTER picture quality than DVD or hard drive consumer camcorders (less compression)

CHEAPER than DVD camcorders because for some reason people think DVD is "better" than tape (it's NOT better than mini-DV tape!)

MORE FLEXIBLE - easier to capture and edit if you're into this.

Advertisement