Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roaming hounds

Options
  • 11-01-2007 10:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

In my neighbourhood, roaming hounds are the only thing that is more of a nuisance than little gurriers writing lists of their nicknames equals mates on all the walls. Another topic altogether but semi-wild dogs are really what is starting to put me off from living in my area.

At least the graffitis on the wall dont smell bad, leave piles of poo behind them or growl theateningly.

Dont take me wrong I am not strictly against dogs, when they are kept in a private place, like a back garden or held on a leash when being walked.

However, it seems that the rule over here is to just leave them to roam outside all day, and sometimes night. Some of them are pretty big and dirty, and some of them are threatening, barking and even jumping on people.

and there are LOADS of them... it's not just one or two people being lax.

I suppose there must be a law that says the owner should keep them in an enclosed space, is it just not applied in certain areas of Dublin or is this a country wide thing ?

Is there a Dog control unit here ? Do they actually monitor areas or do they wait until someone gets mauled to do something ?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

there is a dog warden system. contact the council daily until they are dealt with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭GallicProphet

Has anyone got an experience of using this Dog Warden system ?

In terms of how they operate, how do they deal with the plaintiff, the dog owners, and the animals.

Has anyone ever seen them in action ? Do they just take the dogs or do they try to retrieve the owners and tell them to keep it in the back garden ?
    I d be interested to know, as they mostly have no collars on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭GallicProphet

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054933929&referrerid=59211

Actually found this interesting thread on the subject.

But the thing is ... I dont really want the dogs to be taken to a dog pound and put to sleep tbh. I just want them on a leash when they re out ! these dogs have owners

I really dont mind people having dogs. I just think it should be strongly communicated to them that they have to keep them in their back gardens or on a leash

• Registered Users Posts: 78,397 ✭✭✭✭Victor

In public a dog is essentially meant to be kept at heal. This sounds like a pack out of control.

Talk to the warden and suggest that the warden have a mailshot done of all the local houses, warning people that dogs are both a safety and health problem for especially children and explaining that the warden will be doing inspections.

The warden can they impound the remaining strays and people can bail them out of not. After paying a fine to get their dog back, people are a bit more careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Dogs without a collar can be captured and impounded by the warden. As Victor says, after their dog has been captured and they've had to pay to get it out a few times, people will be more careful. If the dog has a collar, the warden can contact and warn the owner.

Dogs wandering around on their own shouldn't be a problem if they're properly trained. Back when I was in my teens, we often let our (small) dog out the front to wander around the green space in front of the house. She'd spend 30 minutes sniffing around, checking out the place, sometimes rolling in something (:o), and then would come back in when she got bored/hungry/tired.
    I have seen though in my own area now, a couple of dogs who quite clearly get thrown out to wander the streets during the day when everyone's at work and/or at night when everyone's gone to bed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Some of them are pretty big and dirty, and some of them are threatening, barking and even jumping on people.
    You have kids? Throw the dog in the pound before they get bitten. Simple as.

Advertisement