Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The best waterproof troosers for cycling?

Options
  • 11-01-2007 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭

Christ what a morning to cycle. Fierce wind and rain.

I had my long-serving waterproof trousers on with overshoes but the trousers are rubbish at keeping my socks dry, even with the overshoes.

Is it just me or are waterproof trousers not supposed to at least try and keep your ankles covered?

Or does anyone have any recommendations for good waterproof trousers for cycling that can protect the ankles? Ventilation isn't really an issue as my commute is generally quite short.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Altura Dryline rain trousers have adjustable length so they should reach down to your shoes (unless you have particularly long legs).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I have overshoes and I also have winter boots.
    I can't wear both at the same time as they wouldn't fit (overshoes are for my lighter pair of shoes). I find that there is always going to be some seepage no matter what I wear. Water just finds it's way in everywhere eventually. If it's a really wet day when I leave in the morning I just bring a second pair of socks with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Itsfixed

King Raam wrote:
    I have overshoes and I also have winter boots.
    I can't wear both at the same time as they wouldn't fit (overshoes are for my lighter pair of shoes). I find that there is always going to be some seepage no matter what I wear. Water just finds it's way in everywhere eventually. If it's a really wet day when I leave in the morning I just bring a second pair of socks with me.

Yeah, that's what i thought too but I may just pick up a pair of Altura Rush overtrousers from cyclesuperstore.ie as they look a lot better than the 'sad-git' ones i have the moment, plus more ankle protection.

thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

I have a pair of waterproofs I got in Lidl's and a band I tie around the bottom which causes the end of them to flair out over my shoes. It's not perfect but it does a good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭randomname2005

I have problems with waterproof trouser leg length. being over six ft tall I find they rise up and leave my lower legs and ankles exposed. I have a pair of Spats (sporthouse make them and they were available in outdoor adventure store and K2 last time I was looking, and are only about €10/15). They are like gaitors but the lower half is like overshoes and come a good bit up my leg.
    R

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I have a pair of Spats (sporthouse make them and they were available in outdoor adventure store and K2 last time I was looking, and are only about €10/15). They are like gaitors but the lower half is like overshoes and come a good bit up my leg.
    They ain't attractive but they are good. I've recently changed to using overshoes, but I used the Sporthouse ones for the previous 15+ years. My first pair lasted almost 10 years!

Advertisement