Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tofu

• 11-01-2007 11:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi,
    I often eat tofu when I am out in restaurants but hage never cooked with it myself.

But I dont even know where to find it in the supermarket! Can someone give me the low-down?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Not all suprmarkets stock tofu, though the larger ones do (Tesco, M&S. etc.) Failing that, you could try the local health food store....definitely will find it there. Partial to the smoked stuff meself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 viggi-tea

Yeah the smoked tofu can be VERY good. Most health food stores have a pretty good variety of tofu. The smoked tofu with sesame seeds and almonds is really nice! I havent seen any in supermarkets either tho... its not really that popular wit non-veggies maybe :p !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Tofu is great for absorbing flavours. I do not cook with it much but try a marinade. A Simple soy sauce marinade would be fine!

You can get it at any health shop or asian store if there is one near you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I see our local Dunnes is also stocking Tofu now too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭WomanInWhite

A health food store, of course. Thanks a mill for all your replies! Really helpful.

• Advertisement

Taifun is the best brand of tofu from the health store. It takes experimentation and time to learn to flavor it properly, and people can be put off quickly.So I definitely recommended using the flavoured taifun range including the smoked almond and seasame one mentioned above.
    Unless you live near me then feck off and leave my taifun alone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

you can also buy tofu in little cartons (as opposed to in plastic) and they keep non-refrigerated, ie. in the cupboard for ages. handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

You can also get it in the Aisian stores for half the price of the health stores.

They dont tend to do the flavoured ones though - just the plain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Yeah usually that "Natural Green" stuff and the other brand.
    I guess it's ok but I tried some of it and it wasn't great. But then there are a lot of different styles so it's worth trying a few.

Advertisement